Dashboards & Visualizations

Splunk Incorrectly Extracting Data for Bar Chart

harshparikhxlrd
Path Finder

Hello, I am trying to extract some values with splunk using the rex command. When I extract it, I get values, but some of the values are incorrect. One of my values is 30, but I notice that splunk only seems to extra the "3" from 30 and displays it.

Here is my search:

index=monitoring sourcetype=PEGA:WinEventLog:Application ( SourceName="RoboticLogging" OR SourceName="Application" ) ("Type=" "Information")
| rex "Number of New Employees in NEO Report without job title Temporary Agy Svc Asst:\s*(?<ex>[^4]+?)"

| rex field=_raw "Department=\"(?<dept>.+?)\"" | where dept = "HRSS_NEO" OR dept = "HRSS Daily NEO Report"
| rex field=_raw "Automation=\"(?<auto>.+?)\"" | where auto = "NEO_P_SplunkMetrics"
| bucket _time span=day
| eval Time = strftime(_time, "%b %d, %Y") 
| fields - _time 
| dedup Time
| table Time, ex
| rename ex as "No. of Employees" | sort Time desc

On bar chart, the 30 is shown as a 3. While the 5 is shown as normal. See highlighted.

Attached screen shots of the searches.

alt text
alt text

0 Karma
1 Solution

jpolvino
Builder

Your extract is not greedy enough. The question mark tells it to stop as soon as possible.

A better solution to try, which tells it to stop matching at the comma:

| rex "Number of New Employees in NEO Report without job title Temporary Agy Svc Asst:\s*(?<ex>[^,]+)"

View solution in original post

0 Karma

jpolvino
Builder

Be careful with the use of the question mark when extracting, because you may not get everything you expect. Take a look in the posts with the rex or regex tags for great examples. One very useful tactic is to use the not-match. If you know the item you seek is followed by a comma, then match everything that is not a comma, which would be: (?<ex>[^,]+)

This is often much more effective than trying to define everything that does belong in the character class, if you simply know what doesn't belong.

0 Karma

jpolvino
Builder

Your extract is not greedy enough. The question mark tells it to stop as soon as possible.

A better solution to try, which tells it to stop matching at the comma:

| rex "Number of New Employees in NEO Report without job title Temporary Agy Svc Asst:\s*(?<ex>[^,]+)"
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...