Dashboards & Visualizations

Sparkline maximum data points?

MonkeyK
Builder

I recently noticed that my sparklines may appear to lose data when I make the resolution too fine. For example over the course of a days data, sparkline(sum(count),1h) as countTrend1h will represent the trend OK, but sparkline(sum(count),5m) as countTrend5m will show only part of the results. I think that this is because at a resolution of 1hour, I have only 24 datapoints, while a resolution of 5m has 288.

What is the maximum number of datapoints that Splunk can reasonable handler in a sparkline? Also, is there a way to deal with it if I inadvertently exceed that number of data points? alt text

0 Karma
1 Solution

gergelybata
Explorer

Sparklines can have 101 data points maximum.
In fact, sparkline generates a multivalue field with a special "header", something like this:

##__SPARKLINE__##,113,322,275,334,314,284,...

So you can use every mv.... command on these fields, e.g. mvcount(countTrend5m)

View solution in original post

lstewart_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

You can generate sparkline charts with the tstats command only if you specify the _time field in the BY clause and use the stats command to generate the actual sparkline.

For example:

| tstats count from datamodel=Authentication.Authentication BY _time, Authentication.src span=1h | stats sparkline(sum(count),1h) AS sparkline, sum(count) as count BY Authentication.src

Also, I don't know if the limit suggested is accurate. When you run the following command, you get many more data points than 101 which are charted:

index=_internal | chart sparkline count by sourcetype
0 Karma

gergelybata
Explorer

Sparklines can have 101 data points maximum.
In fact, sparkline generates a multivalue field with a special "header", something like this:

##__SPARKLINE__##,113,322,275,334,314,284,...

So you can use every mv.... command on these fields, e.g. mvcount(countTrend5m)

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...