Dashboards & Visualizations

Single value with trend to compare last 7 days and last 7 days before that

splunk_kk
Path Finder

Hello Team,

I want to compare total count of last 7 days to the total count of 7 days before that in a single value with trend. For example, (suppose today is 15th), if the total count from 9th to 15th is 120 and total count from 1st to 8th was 50. I want to compare this and have a single value with Arrow.

I hope you have got my point. Le t me know if you need some more information

Regards

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

It definitely should work; it works for me (you don't need the fields part so just drop it):

earliest=-14d@d latest=@d-1s index=_internal
| timechart span=7d count
0 Karma

splunk_kk
Path Finder

Thanks Woodcock. It would work but if count is zero it won't show for that week/hour/day.

Did you see a zero in your count in the results?

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Yes, even when I drop the previous week's events like this:

earliest=-14d@d latest=@d-1s index=_internal
| where _time > relative_time(now(), "-1d@d") 
| timechart span=7d count
0 Karma

splunk_kk
Path Finder

Strange, doesn't work for me....

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

I am on v6.6.0.

0 Karma

cmerriman
Super Champion

would you want the single value to be 120, then and just an arrow pointing up?

try something like this for a date range of the 1st through 14th:

|timechart span=7d count

if you only want the arrow, don't show the sparkline. it would just be two points anyways with just two weeks.

0 Karma

splunk_kk
Path Finder

Hi Cmerriman,

Thanks for your response.

I managed to create a search but it is not giving me the result as expected. see below:

MY SEARCH:

earliest=-14d@d latest=@d-1s index=myindex sourcetype=mysourcetype status=success | timechart span=7d count | fields count

I'm getting the result as:

count   _time
25  2017-06-09

What I'm expecting is:

count   _time
0   2017-06-02
25  2017-06-09

I think the problem is if the total of the count during the week from 2nd to 8th is 0 (Zero) is doesn't provide the result for that week. Any clues how we can make that appear in the result?

0 Karma

cmerriman
Super Champion

that is bizarre. i'm running a similar query on my own data. i limited a dataset so that i only had data coming back from 6/11-6/14. i ran .... earliest=-14d@d latest=@d-1s| timechart span=7d count | fields count
and got back
count _time
0 2017-06-02
17864 2017-06-09
I'm on version 6.5.1, is that the version you are on?

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

It all works fine for me on v6.6.0.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...