Dashboards & Visualizations

Single Value Panel on absolute metric resets to 0

sadohert

Apologies in advance if I'm mixing some terminology. I'm relatively new to Splunk.

I'm building a Splunk app to monitor our product, Mattermost. We expose Prometheus style metrics and I'm using this Prometheus data input type by @luke.monahan@rivium.com.au to get the metrics in (thanks Luke!).

We have a metric mattermost_db_master_connections_total that is displayed in a Single Value chart at the top of a dashboard, as well as in amongst some time series charts below. The time series chart seems to match with what I see in our equivalent Grafana dashboard, but the Single Value stat seems to bounce between 0 and the value I would expect, depending on the timing of when I refresh the dashboard.

Is there something I should be doing in my query to smooth out those drops to 0 on the single value panel? What is happening here? Missing values I don't see on the time series?

Single Value Query:

| mstats max(_value) prestats=true WHERE metric_name="mattermost_db_master_connections_total" AND sourcetype=prometheus:metric span=15s
| timechart max(_value) span=15s

Time Series Query:
| mstats max(_value) prestats=true WHERE metric_name="mattermost_db_master_connections_total" AND sourcetype=prometheus:metric span=15s BY host
| timechart max(_value) span=15s agg=max useother=false BY host
| addtotals

Screenshots:
Single Value (after refreshing... and seemingly majority of the time it looks like this... every few refreshes I'll get 3 as expected):
alt text

Time Series Plot:
alt text

0 Karma
1 Solution

to4kawa
Ultra Champion

smooth out those drops to 0
If there is no data at 15 second intervals, 0 is displayed.
What should it do?
Why don't you try to expand time span?

View solution in original post

0 Karma

to4kawa
Ultra Champion

smooth out those drops to 0
If there is no data at 15 second intervals, 0 is displayed.
What should it do?
Why don't you try to expand time span?

0 Karma

sadohert

Thanks for weighing in. I increased the span and this appears to have resolved the drops to 0.

0 Karma

DalJeanis
Legend

@sadohert - if your problem is solved, please accept the solution. Thanks!

0 Karma

sadohert

Thanks. I was looking for a way to do this earlier today, but didn't see the button. Done

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...