Dashboards & Visualizations

Single Value Drilldown into Table with Timespan

markschoonover
Explorer

I've been able to drilldown into a table from a single value. My final challenge is to include the current time span into the link. I've tried adding earliest/latest xml elements in the single value drilldown link element but that didn't work. I've tried to embed $form1.earliest$ & $form1.latest$ in the link, used cdata instead of URL decoding the search string without success. I've used the dashboards example app too. Any ideas on what I'm missing?

Added the XML for this single value:

<single>
            <search>
              <query>index=_internal</query>
              <earliest>$field1.earliest$</earliest>
              <latest>$field1.latest$</latest>
            </search>
            <option name="colorBy">value</option>
            <option name="colorMode">block</option>
            <option name="drilldown">none</option>
            <option name="numberPrecision">0</option>
            <option name="rangeColors">["0x65a637","0xd93f3c"]</option>
            <option name="rangeValues">[5]</option>
            <option name="showSparkline">1</option>
            <option name="showTrendIndicator">1</option>
            <option name="trendColorInterpretation">standard</option>
            <option name="trendDisplayMode">absolute</option>
            <option name="underLabel">Generator Queue</option>
            <option name="unitPosition">after</option>
            <option name="useColors">1</option>
            <option name="useThousandSeparators">1</option>
            <drilldown>
              <link>?q=/app/search/search/index=_internal earliest=?? latest=??</link>
            </drilldown>
            <option name="linkView">search</option>
</single>

How can I add the time span in ?q=/app/search/search/index=_internal earliest=?? latest=???

Mark

0 Karma

niketn
Legend

Following is the example I described earlier.

<single>
         <search>
           <query>index=_internal</query>
           <earliest>$field1.earliest$</earliest>
           <latest>$field1.latest$</latest>
         </search>
         <option name="drilldown">all</option>
         <drilldown>
             <set token="myEarliestTime">$earliest$</set>
             <set token="myLatestTime">$latest$</set>
         </drilldown>

Since you plan to use earliest and latest token in a link, you will not require above example.

However, I would suggest using CDATA section so that you dont have to Escape encoded URL. You can test the same by creating a New Dashboard and call using following path for your Splunk App Name. Earliest Time and Latest Time can be passed as query strings(see example below). I will recommend you to check out various Drill Down examples provided in Splunk 6.x Dashboard Examples app.

<drilldown>
          <link>
                  <![CDATA[
                    /app/<YourSplunkApp>/<YourNewDashboardorRedirection>?earliest=$earliest$&latest=$latest$
                  ]]>
          </link>
      </drilldown> 

niketn
Legend

You can add a Time control to the form and use its earliest and latest properties across the visualizations in your form.

For example if the added Time control is globalTime you will have $globalTIme.earliest$ and $globalTIme.latest$ available in the form.

Additionally, earliest and latest timestamp are available as Single value Tokens which can be coded under <drilldown><condition> block

Please refer to the link for Single value tokens: http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/Viz/PanelreferenceforSimplifiedXML#single_.28even...

markschoonover
Explorer

Thanks niketnilay. I'm trying to pass the time span from a single value visualization the drilldown link so when the users click on the value, the URL associated it, that starts another search.

0 Karma

sundareshr
Legend

Have you tried using search events to capture earliest/latest? From your question, it appears you want to pass earliest/latest for the search used in the single-value panel, right? Try this (can be used for any search block)

<panel>
    <single>
        <search>
            <query>...</query>
            <done>
                <set token="e">job.earliest</set>
            </done>
        </search>
    </single>
</panel>

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.5.1/Viz/tokens#Search_event_elements_and_job_propertie...

0 Karma

markschoonover
Explorer

Thanks sundareshr! I've updated with the XML - hopefully that'll help. I would like the drilldown URL to execute a separate search displaying a table. How can I get the token into the link element.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...