Dashboards & Visualizations
Highlighted

Since upgrading to 6.5 many dashboard panels NOT working - TAB character issue in the SPL?

Contributor

Lots of my dashboard panels in simple XML are no longer working since upgrading to 6.5. Getting "No results found." But when I open up in search the SPL work fine with lots of results.

Issue appears to be tab characters in my SPL.

<search base="baseSearch_wwan_connectfailure">
      <query>stats count as Failures by car 
           | sort-Failures 
           | rename car as "Carrier"
      </query>

If I replace the tab characters with spaces all is working again.

Anyone else seeing this issue?

0 Karma
Highlighted

Re: Since upgrading to 6.5 many dashboard panels NOT working - TAB character issue in the SPL?

Champion

I have not seen this issue and I use tabs a lot. What browser are you using to access the dashboards? Are your SimpleXML files in UTF-8 / ASCII format?

0 Karma
Highlighted

Re: Since upgrading to 6.5 many dashboard panels NOT working - TAB character issue in the SPL?

Contributor

Seeing the issue in latest versions of Chrome and IE. XML files are ASCII format.

0 Karma
Highlighted

Champion

what do you see when you look at the job inspector? does it look like the job inspector show the searches in what looks like a reasonably accurate translation for the litsearch field?

0 Karma
Highlighted

Contributor

See the screen shot I just attached. Job inspector is reporting 40K+ events.

0 Karma
Highlighted

Champion

Also, when you click Edit -> Source, does Splunk show any Validation errors or warnings XML? This is a new feature in 6.5 that has become very handy.

0 Karma
Highlighted

Contributor

Nope no validation errors.

All works when I change tabs to spaces.

0 Karma
Highlighted

Contributor
0 Karma
Highlighted

Champion

Weird. I too have had some issues with 6.5 SimpleXML, but unrelated to this. I will be on the lookout for anything similar and will report to the Splunk team.

0 Karma
Highlighted

Contributor

Replacing all tab characters with spaces in my XML files fixed the issue.