Dashboards & Visualizations

[Simple XML] Token not substituted within href attribute

punkle
Engager

I defined the following HTML element within one row of my dashboard (which is called with the GET parameter '?tsmserver=TSM512'):

<html>
   <h2>Other Server Information</h2> 
   <ul>
    <li><h3><a href="DR-9-1?tsmserver=$tsmserver$">$tsmserver$ Data Stats</a></h3></li>
   </ul>
  </html>

However only the second occurrence of the $tsmserver$ token gets substituted with "TSM512" while the first one (the one within the href attribute) does not, therefore making the link unusable. Is this a bug or is this done on purpose? In case it is done on purpose, how can I put a link (containing a URL variable) within an html element in simple XML?

Thank you very much for your help,

Dan

Tags (1)

guilmxm
Influencer

Hi,

I confirm for having tested it that is has been definitively solved with the 6.2 version.
Same not working simple xml interfaces works now as expected, tokens are subsituded with success.

Great new!

Guilhem

0 Karma

SreeragM
Explorer

Hi,

'&' character inside html href is still causing issue in my dashboards. is there a workaround of this?
I'm trying to add html link to another form at the botton of a table.

dfoster_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Thanks for reporting this. It does actually look like a bug, as all $token$ values inside an <html> block are supposed to be replaceable.

For the moment it appears that token values inside elements like <a href="$token$"> will not work, although tokens outside of elements like <a>$token</a> will work.

I don't think you can work around this using Simple XML. If you upgrade your Simple XML dashboard to an HTML dashboard using Edit > Convert to HTML, you can modify the resultant HTML so that the %24 values in the <a href="DR-9-1?tsmserver=%24tsmserver%24"> are replaced with $ correctly.

Note that HTML dashboards can no longer be modified with the visual dashboard editor.

dfoster_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

It looks like this item was pushed out of Splunk 6.1, as you observe. -- You might ask your support contact about the issue, which shows up internally as SPL-77044.

0 Karma

alexiri
Communicator

I've just been told that this is solved in version 6.2, we'll see if it's true in a few days.

0 Karma

alexiri
Communicator

This is still not fixed in 6.1, and I don't see it listed in the release notes' known issues page[1]. Is there any update on this?

[1] http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.1/ReleaseNotes/KnownIssues

0 Karma

dfoster_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

The bug is still open. Based on its prioritization it is unlikely to get fixed in the Splunk 6.0.x timeframe.

0 Karma

ErikRothman

Any updates on this? Is the bug resolved yet? Seems like it still doesn't work in the latest version:

Splunk Version
Splunk Build

0 Karma

dfoster_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

This bug has already been opened and prioritized, so you shouldn't need to do anything else.

0 Karma

alexiri
Communicator

Hello @dfoster_splunk,

Has this already been opened as a bug internally, or should we report it through our support contract?

Cheers,
Alex

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...