Dashboards & Visualizations

Simple XML Setting Token Value from Javascript not working

simpkins1958
Contributor

Have created the following javascript file miq_common_tokens.js and have located in ..\myapp\appserver\static\miq_common_tokens.js

require([
    "splunkjs/mvc",
    "splunkjs/mvc/simplexml/ready!"
], function(mvc) {

var tokens = mvc.Components.get("default");
    tokens.set("someGlobalValueToken", "This is a TEST"); 

}); 
});

Have this in my simple xml code:

<form hideSplunkBar="false" hideFooter="false" script="miq_common_tokens.js,showtokens.js">

Trying to access the token:

<title>Diagnostic report locations - pass (green), warning (yellow), or failure (red) $reachedMaxLocationsToken$ - $someGlobalValueToken$</title>

Which is displaying:
Diagnostic report locations - pass (green), warning (yellow), or failure (red) - Locations truncated at 10 - $someGlobalValueToken$

And showtokens.js does not show - someGlobalValueToken

0 Karma
1 Solution

niketn
Legend

@simpkins1958, in your JavaScript Code Snippet there seems to be an extra closing block });. Not sure if it is actually required in your code or typo error while createing code snippet. Also once you have saved the JavaScript, have you tried rebooting/refreshing or bumping Splunk and clearing out internet browser history?

I tried similar JavaScript code and it worked fine for me.

alt text

PS: I have used <init> section to initialize couple of tokens to set to default values.

Following is the run anywhere Simple XML Code:

<form hideSplunkBar="false" hideFooter="false" script="miq_common_tokens.js">
  <label>Set token through JavaScript</label>
  <init>
    <set token="reachedMaxLocationsToken">10</set>
    <set token="someGlobalValueToken">Initialize Token</set>
  </init>
  <row>
    <panel>
      <title>Diagnostic report locations - pass (green), warning (yellow), or failure (red) $reachedMaxLocationsToken$ - $someGlobalValueToken$</title>
      <html>
        <!-- Empty HTML section to avoid XML Parser Warning for Empty Panel-->
      </html>
    </panel>
  </row>
</form>

Following is the JavaScript Code miq_common_tokens.js:

require([
     "splunkjs/mvc",
 ], function(mvc) {
});

PS: Splunk refresh/restart/_bump may be required for JavaScript changes to reflect. Also internet browser history might need to be cleared up.

View solution in original post

niketn
Legend

@simpkins1958, in your JavaScript Code Snippet there seems to be an extra closing block });. Not sure if it is actually required in your code or typo error while createing code snippet. Also once you have saved the JavaScript, have you tried rebooting/refreshing or bumping Splunk and clearing out internet browser history?

I tried similar JavaScript code and it worked fine for me.

alt text

PS: I have used <init> section to initialize couple of tokens to set to default values.

Following is the run anywhere Simple XML Code:

<form hideSplunkBar="false" hideFooter="false" script="miq_common_tokens.js">
  <label>Set token through JavaScript</label>
  <init>
    <set token="reachedMaxLocationsToken">10</set>
    <set token="someGlobalValueToken">Initialize Token</set>
  </init>
  <row>
    <panel>
      <html>
        <!-- Empty HTML section to avoid XML Parser Warning for Empty Panel-->
      </html>
    </panel>
  </row>
</form>

Following is the JavaScript Code miq_common_tokens.js:

require([
     "splunkjs/mvc",
 ], function(mvc) {
});

PS: Splunk refresh/restart/_bump may be required for JavaScript changes to reflect. Also internet browser history might need to be cleared up.

simpkins1958
Contributor

I am setting a token as the value to use in SPL head command, head $maxResults$. The search is trying to execute before $maxResults$ is available. Anyway to fix this? Thanks.

0 Karma

niketn
Legend

You can have the visualization panel hidden until the token is set using depends=$maxResults$, or else you would need to somehow set the default token value, for example through <init> section (similar to how I have created in my run anywhere example above:

<init set token="maxResults">10</init>

If one of the options above does not satisfy your needs, you might have to add sample code of the search and place where it is set. So that we can assist further.

simpkins1958
Contributor

It was the extra }); - Thanks!!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...