Dashboards & Visualizations

Screen mock-ups

domgkc
Explorer

Does anyone else have a need to to mock-ups of possible splunk dashboards?

We design and create applications and dashboards for customers and at the time of preparing documentation do not have the source data and what to quickly create mockups or wire-frames of what a dashboard might look like.

If so what do others use? Is there an easy way to do this? Are there visio stencils of the core visual elements?

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Paolo_Prigione
Builder

Hi, I had the same problem and used Balsamiq Mockups. Compared to Splunk's dashboarding abilities:

• it misses gauges and area charts, but
  • you can customize the table headings at wish.

It is integrated with Google Drive, which to my team is a great benefit as we can share what we are working onto ...

I am attaching a sample of output.

mockup

View solution in original post

0 Karma

Paolo_Prigione
Builder

Hi, I had the same problem and used Balsamiq Mockups. Compared to Splunk's dashboarding abilities:

• it misses gauges and area charts, but
  • you can customize the table headings at wish.

It is integrated with Google Drive, which to my team is a great benefit as we can share what we are working onto ...

I am attaching a sample of output.

mockup

0 Karma

reedmohn
Communicator

Can't you get a small data sample from the customer?
After all, you won't know what you can make for them unless you have mock-up data to experiment with.
Anonymize / generalize these data, and collect them over time (with customer's permission).
That way you'll build a collection of various mock-up data for later use.

domgkc
Explorer

Cheers guys, we generally try to get some customer data but it is not always possible usually due to commercial sensitivity.

We quite often have to provide a high level design document and adding some screen mockups would be a nice touch. These a for customers that probably don't have splunk yet...

Like the idea of the data generator.

0 Karma

MHibbin
Influencer

I agree with Drainy, from typical experience with customers... As long as they can relate the data set to theirs, it does not have to be identical. Customer's imagination is generally quite good when it comes to Splunk.

0 Karma

Drainy
Champion

Just as a twist on this, I generally take some example data and build a data generator from it. This is perfect for testing without waiting for events to happen and gives you an on-demand pool of data when you require it.

Damien_Dallimor
Ultra Champion

I don't know of any Splunk UI specific stencils, I've just used generic UI stencils before , but as a slight aside there are Omingraffle and Visio stencils for various Splunk deployment components, http://wiki.splunk.com/Community:Splunk_Visio_Stencil

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...