Dashboards & Visualizations

SPL gets garbled in simple XML

token2
Path Finder

Hello, I have SPL that when opened into a search from the dashboard has good working SPL, for example

| rex field=_raw "\"stuff\"+\smaximum=\"100\"\>(?P<Score>[^\<]*)"

in simple XML (when editing in the webUI 'source' and when opening the XML files in an editor) some of the characters get garbled.

| rex field=_raw "\"stuff\"+\smaximum=\"100\"\&gt;(?P&lt;Score&gt;[^\&lt;]*)"

Seems that the ">" gets garbled into "&gt;" and "<" into "&lt;"

Another example is " | rex field=Message "Member:\s(?P<UserAdd>[\s\S]*?Account Name"

the < and > get mutated to: rex field=Message "Member:\s(%3FP&lt;UserAdd&gt;[\s\S]*%3F)Account Name"

So ? is %3F

< is &lt;

> &gt;

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

anilchaithu
Builder

@token2 

This is expected in xml for special characters like &, >, < etc. Refer the document & attached image to avoid this issue

https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/8.0.4/Viz/OverviewofSimplifiedXML

anilchaithu_0-1594678696476.png

Hope this helps

View solution in original post

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Those are escaped characters which splunk changes to this form when you are using dashboard editor. You could avoid this using “source”-mode with editor and add <![CDATA[ .... your query ... ]]> to source code.

r. Ismo

anilchaithu
Builder

@token2 

This is expected in xml for special characters like &, >, < etc. Refer the document & attached image to avoid this issue

https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/8.0.4/Viz/OverviewofSimplifiedXML

anilchaithu_0-1594678696476.png

Hope this helps

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...