Dashboards & Visualizations

Remove edit menu from a dashboard or form

cafissimo
Communicator

Hello, is it possible to remove the "edit" entry from the "Actions" menu of a dashboard or form page? I do not want that users have the capability to change anything. Thanks in advance and best regards.

Luca.

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

southeringtonp
Motivator

Not easily.

Something similar has been asked before:
http://answers.splunk.com/questions/925/in-the-titlebar-module-is-it-possible-to-limit-the-list-of-a...

If you're willing to throw out the whole menu, you can just remove the TitleBar module from your view (you'll have to use the full/advanced XML syntax to do it)

Otherwise you'll need to do some work with CSS and JavaScript. There's some more detail in the answer linked above.

View solution in original post

southeringtonp
Motivator

Not easily.

Something similar has been asked before:
http://answers.splunk.com/questions/925/in-the-titlebar-module-is-it-possible-to-limit-the-list-of-a...

If you're willing to throw out the whole menu, you can just remove the TitleBar module from your view (you'll have to use the full/advanced XML syntax to do it)

Otherwise you'll need to do some work with CSS and JavaScript. There's some more detail in the answer linked above.

DrewO
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hi Luca,

When you share out your dashboard view you can give out read and write permissions separately. If you don't give your users write permission to a dashboard or a form they won't be able to change it. Unfortunately the edit option persists in the drop-down menu even if they don't have write permission. It will let them click on "edit" and will even take them to the edit screen, but it won't let them actually edit it, and it will tell them they don't have permission. It would be nice for that to only show in the action menu if they actually have the permission to edit that particular object. You should file a case for an enhancement request at splunk.com/support. It may have already been filed, but the more customers file it, the more it will be noticed and worked on.

Drew

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...