Dashboards & Visualizations

Pulling Sub-Totals in a table

itsmevic
Communicator

I ingested a .CSV into Splunk which contained some patching information derived from another system. The problem with the report is that it's producing multiple rows with the same patch information. I ran it through Splunk to see if I could clean it up some by using the following query:

index=patching sourcetype=patching
| stats count by Patch_History, Patch_Number, Count
| sort -Count
| stats list(Patch_History) as Count, list(Count) by Patch_Number

This query produced the following output:

alt text

I'd like to add a subtotal for each section. I've tried using | addcolumns fieldname=" ", etc., but am not getting the desired results. Any help is appreciated!

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

niketn
Legend

@itsmevic please try the following approach with eventstats to get the sum as Sub_Total and values() or last() or first to show only one value for Sub_Total

| eventstats sum(Count) as Sub_Total by Patch_Number
| sort - Count
| stats list(Patch_History) as Patch_History, list(Count) as Count, values(Sub_Total) as Sub_Total by Patch_Number

View solution in original post

niketn
Legend

@itsmevic please try the following approach with eventstats to get the sum as Sub_Total and values() or last() or first to show only one value for Sub_Total

| eventstats sum(Count) as Sub_Total by Patch_Number
| sort - Count
| stats list(Patch_History) as Patch_History, list(Count) as Count, values(Sub_Total) as Sub_Total by Patch_Number

itsmevic
Communicator

Boom! Nike, you are a lifesaver! Thank you! The output is exactly what I need!

niketn
Legend

@itsmevic you were so close that I am sure you would have got it yourself after tea/coffee or may be a nap 🙂
Keep Splunking!!!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...