Dashboards & Visualizations

Public Holidays Prediction | MLTK ITSI

rony121
Loves-to-Learn Lots

Hi All, 

I am new to MLTK , I want to use machine learning to predict bank holidays for Europe region. I have past 10-year of data with me to train Machine to predict Holidays for upcoming years.
But with holidays, not all holidays are on same date of years. Like Christmas is on 25th dec of every year but good Friday and black Friday are not constant in terms of dates.

How can I achieve this as to not notify users for all alerts and dashboards ?

Lookup just consists of Holidays and their corresponding Dates.

Labels (4)
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

As you've discovered, past holiday dates are not good predictors of future holiday dates.  Even those with fixed dates, like Christmas, may change.  For instance, if Christmas falls on a Saturday then it may be recognized as a corporate holiday on the Friday before.

IMO, the biggest obstacle to predicting holiday dates is not having a lunar calendar in Splunk.  Good Friday, Chinese New Year, Passover, Ramadan, and others are based on lunar rather than sidereal calendars (actually, Good Friday is calculated using a combination of lunar and sidereal calendars).  That's not to mention the differences between Roman Catholic and Eastern Orthodox holiday dates.

I think you're better off building a lookup file based on a web site like timeanddate.com rather than trying to use ML.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...