Dashboards & Visualizations

Post Process searches to populate a table and a row click to populate a chart

stanfordlone
Observer

So I've been able to successfully configure a dashboard to utilize post process searching to populate a table of email headers.  Once the user clicks on a specific row in the table, a UUID field is then passed onto a bar chart in the lower half of the dashboard.  It appears that both post process searches are working, however the bar chart at the bottom ends up showing "No results found".  However, when I click on the "Open in Search" for that bar chart, the correct Search query shows up including contextual UUID and there's data in the Search results.  On top of that, if I click on the Visualizations tab, I see the bar chart that I'm looking for.  Is there some sort of refresh of the bar chart that I'm missing on the table click?  Is there some other reason why that bar chart won't populate?

<dashboard>
  <label>Mail Flow Header Analysis</label>
  <!-- Global Search for Mail Flow Header -->
  <search id="allHeaders">
    <query>host=pgnet326* sourcetype="mailflow-3"</query>
    <earliest>1579766400</earliest>
    <latest>1580198400</latest>
  </search>
  <row>
    <panel>
      <table>
        <search base="allHeaders">
          <query>search "from=nagios" | rex field=_raw "^(?&lt;date&gt;.*) uuid=(?&lt;uuid&gt;.*) from=" | table date,uuid</query>
        </search>
        <option name="count">10</option>
        <option name="dataOverlayMode">none</option>
        <option name="drilldown">cell</option>
        <option name="percentagesRow">false</option>
        <option name="rowNumbers">false</option>
        <option name="totalsRow">false</option>
        <option name="wrap">true</option>
        <drilldown>
          <set token="uuid_selected">$row.uuid$</set>
        </drilldown>
      </table>
    </panel>
  </row>
  <row>
    <panel>
      <chart depends="$uuid_selected$">
        <title>
          UUID: $uuid_selected$
        </title>
          <query>search uuid=$uuid_selected$ | rex field=_raw "^(?&lt;date&gt;.*) uuid=(?&lt;uuid&gt;.*) from=(?&lt;from&gt;.*) to=(?&lt;to&gt;.*) delay=(?&lt;delay&gt;.*)" | strcat "from " from " to " to hop | sort +_time | table hop, delay</query>
        </search>
        <option name="charting.chart">bar</option>
        <option name="charting.drilldown">none</option>
      </chart>
    </panel>
  </row>
</dashboard>

Dashboard with No Results FoundDashboard with No Results FoundAfter I click on the Open in SearchAfter I click on the Open in SearchAfter I click on the Visualizations tabAfter I click on the Visualizations tab

Labels (3)
0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

try:

<query>search uuid=$uuid_selected|s$ ...
0 Karma

stanfordlone
Observer

I tried: search uuid=$uuid_selected|s$

but there was no change. 

0 Karma

stanfordlone
Observer

I figured out what the problem was.  I needed to add " around uuid=$uuid_selected$".  Without the quotes, it was looking for a field in the main search with uuid=<the selected UUID>, while this technically "should" work, the definition of that field doesn't happen until further down in the rex part of the query.  By putting quotes around everything, I force the query to search within the main search for that specific string thereby filtering it down to the subset of data that I wanted.  What really confused me is that clicking the Open in Search actually worked.  In any case, it was a subtle difference, but apparently an important one for this dashboard.

<row>
    <panel>
      <chart depends="$uuid_selected$">
        <title>
          UUID: $uuid_selected$
        </title>
          <query>search "uuid=$uuid_selected$" | rex field=_raw "^(?&lt;date&gt;.*) uuid=(?&lt;uuid&gt;.*) from=(?&lt;from&gt;.*) to=(?&lt;to&gt;.*) delay=(?&lt;delay&gt;.*)" | strcat "from " from " to " to hop | sort +_time | table hop, delay</query>
        </search>
        <option name="charting.chart">bar</option>
        <option name="charting.drilldown">none</option>
      </chart>
    </panel>
  </row>

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...