Dashboards & Visualizations

PARSER error on drilldown when using table

bojanz
Communicator

I have a simple table in a dashboard built like this:

<table>
            <title>Test</title>
            <searchString>source="wineventlog:security" EventCode="528" Logon_Type="10" startdaysago=14 | table _time User_Name Source_Network_Address Workstation_Name | rename _time as Time User_Name as "User Name" Source_Network_Address as "Source IP Address" Workstation_Name as "RDP Server" | convert ctime(Time)</searchString>
            <option name="count">25</option>
            <option name="displayRowNumbers">true</option>
            <option name="showPager">true</option>
    </table>

Now, the table renders without any problems, however, when I click on any element in the table I get the following error:

Encountered an unexpected error while parsing intentions. PARSER: Applying intentions failed Unable to drilldown because of post-reporting 'convert' command

Any idea why this is happening? Even if I remove the convert() option and cut down the search, I still get the same error.

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

gkanapathy
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

The drilldown is expecting a timechart or chart or stats command to generate the data. Without it, it is unable to determine the original data and to drill back to. This is probably a bug or enhancement request to Splunk to get the UI to accept table as a reporting command.

You can solve this either by creating a custom drilldown search (which requires going to Advanced XML), or you can rewrite your table command using stats:

... | stats count by _time User_Name Source_Network_Address Workstation_Name
    | fields - count

This will eliminate duplicate rows. If you have them and want to keep them, you could do:

... | stats count by _time User_Name Source_Network_Address Workstation_Name _serial
    | fields - count _serial

View solution in original post

gkanapathy
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

The drilldown is expecting a timechart or chart or stats command to generate the data. Without it, it is unable to determine the original data and to drill back to. This is probably a bug or enhancement request to Splunk to get the UI to accept table as a reporting command.

You can solve this either by creating a custom drilldown search (which requires going to Advanced XML), or you can rewrite your table command using stats:

... | stats count by _time User_Name Source_Network_Address Workstation_Name
    | fields - count

This will eliminate duplicate rows. If you have them and want to keep them, you could do:

... | stats count by _time User_Name Source_Network_Address Workstation_Name _serial
    | fields - count _serial
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...