Dashboards & Visualizations

PARSER error on drilldown when using table

bojanz
Communicator

I have a simple table in a dashboard built like this:

<table>
            <title>Test</title>
            <searchString>source="wineventlog:security" EventCode="528" Logon_Type="10" startdaysago=14 | table _time User_Name Source_Network_Address Workstation_Name | rename _time as Time User_Name as "User Name" Source_Network_Address as "Source IP Address" Workstation_Name as "RDP Server" | convert ctime(Time)</searchString>
            <option name="count">25</option>
            <option name="displayRowNumbers">true</option>
            <option name="showPager">true</option>
    </table>

Now, the table renders without any problems, however, when I click on any element in the table I get the following error:

Encountered an unexpected error while parsing intentions. PARSER: Applying intentions failed Unable to drilldown because of post-reporting 'convert' command

Any idea why this is happening? Even if I remove the convert() option and cut down the search, I still get the same error.

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

gkanapathy
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

The drilldown is expecting a timechart or chart or stats command to generate the data. Without it, it is unable to determine the original data and to drill back to. This is probably a bug or enhancement request to Splunk to get the UI to accept table as a reporting command.

You can solve this either by creating a custom drilldown search (which requires going to Advanced XML), or you can rewrite your table command using stats:

... | stats count by _time User_Name Source_Network_Address Workstation_Name
    | fields - count

This will eliminate duplicate rows. If you have them and want to keep them, you could do:

... | stats count by _time User_Name Source_Network_Address Workstation_Name _serial
    | fields - count _serial

View solution in original post

gkanapathy
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

The drilldown is expecting a timechart or chart or stats command to generate the data. Without it, it is unable to determine the original data and to drill back to. This is probably a bug or enhancement request to Splunk to get the UI to accept table as a reporting command.

You can solve this either by creating a custom drilldown search (which requires going to Advanced XML), or you can rewrite your table command using stats:

... | stats count by _time User_Name Source_Network_Address Workstation_Name
    | fields - count

This will eliminate duplicate rows. If you have them and want to keep them, you could do:

... | stats count by _time User_Name Source_Network_Address Workstation_Name _serial
    | fields - count _serial
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...