Dashboards & Visualizations

Optimizing Dashboard Searches

fk319
Builder

I have a dashboard that has 9 searches. I currently extract my graph from 6 Summary Indexes. 5 of the Summary Indexes come from the same data set and 3 of the searches is the exact same data except that it is grouped.

0) I have done a pre-search for the 3 pairs of data. (aka I have figured out how to methods, barely)

1) I would like to get this to 3 searches so that normal users can display the dashboard. What constitutes a search: a data base search? or does the post search also count?

2) I did some rough counts, If I merge the 5 summary-indexes into one, there will be about 300 events per minute. Does this help or hurt the dashboard?

3) Some of the charts I can only get 2 hours worth of data to display instead of 4 which the others can get, I don't know where I am running into this limitation. (I get everything when I do the origional dashboard with 9 searches.)

4) when doing a pre-search on the dashboard can you do a double pre-search? This would help the pairs of data I refered to above.

I feel that I am running into some road blocks as I am transfering my view form simple to optimized.

Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

fk319
Builder

What I did pre-searches so that I can display the data in two ways, a sumary and a more granularity. I was able to cut my searches in half. I also ran into the limit of the graphing display, so instead of setting a time limit, I let the graphing program do more of the work. I was also running into the 10,000 limit for GUI

I was also able to merge several time ranges into one view by use of a time selector.

In general I learned a bit since I posted this, and wanted to close the question.

View solution in original post

fk319
Builder

What I did pre-searches so that I can display the data in two ways, a sumary and a more granularity. I was able to cut my searches in half. I also ran into the limit of the graphing display, so instead of setting a time limit, I let the graphing program do more of the work. I was also running into the 10,000 limit for GUI

I was also able to merge several time ranges into one view by use of a time selector.

In general I learned a bit since I posted this, and wanted to close the question.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...