Dashboards & Visualizations

Not Able to Convert simple XML to advanced XML

asif_1152
Explorer

Hi, I am using Splunk 6.4.2. I have a dashboard in simple XML . I tried to convert it into advanced XML using the techniques:
1. showsource=advanced i.e. (http://localhost:8000/en-US/app/search/my_dashboard?showsource=advanced)
2. showsource=1 i.e (http://localhost:8000/en-US/app/search/my_dashboard?showsource=1)
3. showsource=true i.e (http://localhost:8000/en-US/app/search/my_dashboard?showsource=true)

Both of these does not seem to work. No XML is generated . Rather the same old dashboard is displayed.

Is there any other way to convert simple XML to advanced XML or Is this feature is not available in Splunk version which I am using?

Thanks

0 Karma

cmerriman
Super Champion

You can't simply convert anymore. You'd have to use the Sideview Editor app and create a dashboard with advanced XML.

cmerriman
Super Champion

however, richgalloway is correct that it is deprecated. if you can, try to use simple xml.

0 Karma

asif_1152
Explorer

Using the Sideview Editor , I will have to recreate everything from the scratch. Sideview Editor does not support Dashboards or Forms created through Splunk (i.e simple XML).

0 Karma

asif_1152
Explorer

I just have to add a new functionality to my existing dashboard which can only be done via Advanced XML.

0 Karma

cmerriman
Super Champion

I know, I ran into this issue this past year with wanting to export panels that were run off of a base search so I had to recreate my dashboard through Sideview. It was a bit tedious, but that was the only work around I could find.

I did however talk with some members of the dashboard team at .conf this year, and hopefully that feature is in the pipeline now.

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Advanced XML is deprecated. While you can still use dashboards written in Advanced XML, you can't create new ones.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

asif_1152
Explorer

I did not quite follow you when you say that we can use dashboards written in Advanced XML. Splunk supports only simple XML or we can convert this XML to HTML and use some javascript .

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Existing dashboards written in Advanced XML still work. We can't convert dashboards into Advanced XML anymore, however.

BTW, converting to HTML is one-way. Splunk doesn't convert HTML dashboards back into Simple XML.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

asif_1152
Explorer

Using 3rd party App like SideView Editor, we can create new views via advanced XML or we can write our own advanced XML but I want to enhance my existing dashboards not create new ones.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...