Dashboards & Visualizations

Need help to create a drilldown

Mrig342
Contributor

Hi All,

I have created a bar chart on my dashboard with the count of Exceptions. Now I want to create a drilldown to a separate dashboard whenever I click on any of the bars (Separate dashboards for each bars). Can we achieve such drilldown from bar/column charts?

I tried "Link it a dashboard", "Link to a custom URL" etc. but I takes me to only one dashboard whenever I click on any of the bars in the chart.

Also thought of using "Manage tokens on this dashboard" option but that doesn't take me to a new dashboard as it only enables for in-page drilldown actions only.

Please help suggest a way to get my desired output. 

Thank you..!!

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @Mrig342,

I think that you need to review how to creat a drilldown from a dashboard to another one.

I think that it will be very useful to see the Splunk Dashboard Examples App (https://splunkbase.splunk.com/app/1603/) where you'll find some samples about how to create a drilldown.

Anyway, you have to use the option "link it a dashboard" choosing the tokens that you want to pass to the secondary dashbord and then to create the secondary dashboard with the tokens you defined in the main dashboard.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

Mrig342
Contributor

Thanks to both of you..!! I successfully created the drilldown using tokens.

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @Mrig342,

I think that you need to review how to creat a drilldown from a dashboard to another one.

I think that it will be very useful to see the Splunk Dashboard Examples App (https://splunkbase.splunk.com/app/1603/) where you'll find some samples about how to create a drilldown.

Anyway, you have to use the option "link it a dashboard" choosing the tokens that you want to pass to the secondary dashbord and then to create the secondary dashboard with the tokens you defined in the main dashboard.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

What do you have in your drilldown? Are the "dashboards" different URLs or just different panels in the same dashboard? How are you determining which dashboard you want to go to?

0 Karma

Mrig342
Contributor

Hi ITWhisperer,

Are the "dashboards" different URLs or just different panels in the same dashboard? --- I have diferent URLs for each dashboard, not different panels in the same dashboards.

What do you have in your drilldown? --- The main dashboard has a bar chart representation of Exceptions by their count. In the drilldown dashboards(separate for each Exceptions in the main dashboard) I have the time of Exception occurrence, server name and source in a tabular manner.

How are you determining which dashboard you want to go to? --- I want to go to each dashboard based on the Exception i.e. clicking on the bars in the main dashboard.

Hope, this helps..!!

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Can you share the URL you construct in your drilldown?

0 Karma

Mrig342
Contributor

Sorry ITWhisperer..!!

Can't do that.. It will be a violation of company policy. I will be glad if you can guide me on how to get my desired output.

You can have this though:

Query I used in main dashboard:   (my search) | stats count by Exception

Query I used in other dashboards:   (my search) | search Exception=ABC | eval Time=strftime(_time, "%y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S") | table Time,host,source

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Construct a token based on the $click.*$ tokens to build the URL you want in your drilldown link or insert the $click.*$ tokens directly in your URL.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...