Dashboards & Visualizations

Missing extra backslash in a "source" token to work properly in search query, any ideas?

mpham07
Path Finder

Hello all,

I am relatively new to Splunk and creating dashboard with XML, so any recommendations and tips are greatly appreciated.

So I have a dashboard with a drop-down menu with a list of sources - I did this because we a have a weekly CSV report so the user can pick a file based on its date within the file name. When the panel relying on the "source" token to do the search, it's missing a backslash to work properly. The source code and explanation below.

Drop-down menu:

<input type="dropdown" token="source_csv" searchWhenChanged="true">
      <label>Select a report week:</label>
      <prefix>source=</prefix>
      <default>*</default>
      <choice value="*">All</choice>
      <fieldForLabel>source</fieldForLabel>
      <fieldForValue>source</fieldForValue>
      <search>
        <query>
          index="example_reports" | chart count by source 
        </query>
      </search>
    </input>

So when a panel with the search below is done, nothing shows up because it's missing a backslash.

host="example_host" index="example_index" $source_csv$ | stats distinct_count(ip)

The search query comes out as:

host="example_host" index="example_index" source=D:\example\report-2018-12-25.csv | stats distinct_count(ip)

The issue is that the source value needs two backslashes for it to work:
source=D:\example\report-2018-12-25.csv

Is there anyway to get the token to have two backslashes to the directory with the token or search query? Thank you in advance.

I did search for solutions on this by adding |s$ and search string, but couldn't get it to work right...

0 Karma
1 Solution

mpham07
Path Finder

With the help of jazzypai and jkat54, the answer is below:

Thank you so much jazzypai! I got it to work with your rex line. Here is what I put in for the drop down search:

host="example_host" index="example_index" | rex field=source mode=sed "s/\\/\\\\/g" | chart count by source

Then it came out right for the search queries that used "source_csv" tokens! Thank you so much for the help and troubleshooting guys/gals! :'D

View solution in original post

0 Karma

mpham07
Path Finder

With the help of jazzypai and jkat54, the answer is below:

Thank you so much jazzypai! I got it to work with your rex line. Here is what I put in for the drop down search:

host="example_host" index="example_index" | rex field=source mode=sed "s/\\/\\\\/g" | chart count by source

Then it came out right for the search queries that used "source_csv" tokens! Thank you so much for the help and troubleshooting guys/gals! :'D

0 Karma

jkat54
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Yes, try this in your dynamic search that populates the drop down or prior to using the token in sub panels.

| rex mode=sed field=source "s/\\/\\/"

Or

| eval field=$source$
  | rex mode=sed field=source "s/\\\/\\\\\\\/"

mpham07
Path Finder

Hello jkat54,

I tried both and they didn't work, I get a "Could not create search. Error in 'rex' command: Failed to initialize sed. Failed to parse the regex to replace."

Is this the correct way to input the search in the drop-down panel? Thanks again.

host="example_host" index="example_index" | rex mode=sed field=source "s/\/\/"| chart count by source

0 Karma

jazzypai
Path Finder

To troubleshoot, do the following (this works but just to explain the process);

| makeresults count=1
| eval source="D:\example\report-2015-05-05.csv"
| rex field=source mode=sed "s/\\\/\\\\\\\/g"

You'll see the result you desired, hopefully, I do.. But once your regex is confirmed then put it in your search and carry on.

I tried using the regex provided above and didn't see the result you wanted so it most likely wouldn't work even with your search provided.

mpham07
Path Finder

host="example_host" index="example_index"  | rex field=source mode=sed "s/\\\/\\\\\\\/g" | chart count by source

0 Karma

jazzypai
Path Finder

Glad it worked out! Good job!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...