Dashboards & Visualizations

Maximum number of panels in a dashboard?

roychen
Path Finder

Hi,

I understand that there's a limit of 3 columns in a dashboard, using Advanced XML (though I've read some threads here that say 4 or more columns are possible).

Is there a hard limit on the maximum number of dashboard panels allowed in a dashboard?

Thanks!

Tags (2)
1 Solution

sd23c109
Explorer

Not that I can tell or that I have seen documented. However, like any UI, the more busy it is the harder it will be to use. Each dashboard has a search (or possibly several searches if you are doing sub searching) behind it. I find that about 9 panels is about the right number. If you need more than that, I would look at creating more navigation pull downs along the top. Very easy to segment your views this way. Check out Manager -> User interface -> Navigation menus. Switch to your app you want to modify, then select the "default" navigation. The XML is fairly intuitive. If you don't want to modify this, search for Navigation Menus in docs.splunk.com.

View solution in original post

Chubbybunny
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Thanks for posting! I had the same question and found this ANSWER.

0 Karma

sd23c109
Explorer

Not that I can tell or that I have seen documented. However, like any UI, the more busy it is the harder it will be to use. Each dashboard has a search (or possibly several searches if you are doing sub searching) behind it. I find that about 9 panels is about the right number. If you need more than that, I would look at creating more navigation pull downs along the top. Very easy to segment your views this way. Check out Manager -> User interface -> Navigation menus. Switch to your app you want to modify, then select the "default" navigation. The XML is fairly intuitive. If you don't want to modify this, search for Navigation Menus in docs.splunk.com.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...