Dashboards & Visualizations

Manipulating time token with a comparison in dashboard

Shahindoh
Explorer

Hi there,

I'm quite new to Splunk so sorry in advance if I'm asking a silly question.
I'm trying to modify token selected by user with time picker earliest / latest to have -5 days / +5 days that I'm then using in epoch format in my search combined with info-min-time / info_max_time.

So far, following other topics and knowledge base I've been able to get it down, except when the user selects "All time" in time picker which ends up having a earliest token with a negative value.

I'm doing the following at the beginning of my dashboard and then using TimeRange.earliest_epoch / TimeRange.latest_epoch in my panels.

<input type="time" token="TimeRange">
      <label>TimeRange</label>
      <default>
        <earliest>0</earliest>
        <latest></latest>
      </default>
      <change>
        <eval token="TimeRange.earliest_epoch">if(isnum('earliest'),'earliest',relative_time(now(),'earliest')-432000</eval>
                <eval token="TimeRange.latest_epoch">if(isnum('latest'),'latest',relative_time(now(),'latest')+432000</eval>
      </change>
    </input>

I added a table panel to display the values of the tokens to see what's happening exactly :

<row>
    <panel>
      <table>
        <title>testDates</title>
        <search>
          <query>| makeresults 
| eval StartTimestamp0="$TimeRange.earliest$"
| eval StartTimestamp1=$TimeRange.earliest_epoch$
| eval starttime=strftime(StartTimestamp1,"%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S.%Q")</query>
          <earliest>$TimeRange.earliest$</earliest>
          <latest>$TimeRange.latest$</latest>
        </search>
        <option name="drilldown">none</option>
        <option name="refresh.display">progressbar</option>
      </table>
    </panel>
  </row>

No surprise, when selecting "All time" it gave me :

StartTimestamp0 = 0

StartTimestamp1 = -432000

Which is making my subsequent searchs in panels to fail.

I don't manage to catch the case where earliest = 0 before assigning value to TimeRange.earliest_epoch or check if second token equals -432000 to assign a different value (1514764800 in this case as this is a safe old date for my dataset).

All my attempts failed, such as adding a second token where I checked if equal  -432000 or below 0  :

<eval token="TimeRange.earliest_epoch2">if('TimeRange.earliest_epoch'=='-432000','1514764800','TimeRange.earliest_epoch')</eval>

or

<eval token="TimeRange.earliest_epoch2">if('TimeRange.earliest_epoch'&lt;'0','1514764800','TimeRange.earliest_epoch')</eval>

The second token kept the value of TimeRange.earliest_epoch. I added an imbricated if condition in the first token eval and again it looks like it goes to else case everytime.

Can you please help me understand what is failing ? 

Thanks in advance !

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

A second token shouldn't be needed.  Just use max to keep the token from getting a negative value.

<eval token="TimeRange.earliest_epoch">max(0,if(isnum('earliest'),'earliest',relative_time(now(),'earliest')-432000)</eval>
---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

A second token shouldn't be needed.  Just use max to keep the token from getting a negative value.

<eval token="TimeRange.earliest_epoch">max(0,if(isnum('earliest'),'earliest',relative_time(now(),'earliest')-432000)</eval>
---

Shahindoh
Explorer

Thank you so much ! 

Quite simple and elegant and it gave me headaches for 2 days  😉

Any idea why I couldn't make some simple numeric comparison / evaluation in my XML ?

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

TBH, I didn't really look once I though of a solution.

---
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...