epacke
Path Finder

Dear experts!
I have a sourcetype that contains fields like this:
domain_field1=5
domain_field2=5
domain_field3=4
domain_field4=3

And I want to display the lowest number available. To make it more complicated, the number of fields can differ, but they will always be prefixed with "domain_"

So in the example above the value for the search would be "3".

Is this possible?

0 Karma
1 Solution

epacke
Path Finder

Need to declare the field first first:

... | eval laggingdomains=0 | foreach domain_* [|eval laggingdomains=laggingdomains + (5 - '<<FIELD>>')] | table laggingdomains

View solution in original post

epacke
Path Finder

Need to declare the field first first:

... | eval laggingdomains=0 | foreach domain_* [|eval laggingdomains=laggingdomains + (5 - '<<FIELD>>')] | table laggingdomains

cmerriman
Super Champion

try this:

...|foreach domain_* [|eval domain_all=min('<<FIELD>>')]

the foreach statement will grab any field beginning with domain_ and eval the minimum value for all fields. https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/SplunkCloud/6.6.1/SearchReference/Foreach

0 Karma

epacke
Path Finder

I tried this one:

... | foreach domain_* [|eval laggingdomains=laggingdomains + (5 - '<>')] | table laggingdomains

That should give me the amount of domains missing (every count below 5 is one missing domain).

However, the table only contains NULL events. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

0 Karma

cmerriman
Super Champion

when i ran this:

|makeresults | eval domain_field1=5| eval domain_field2=5| eval domain_field3=4| eval domain_field4=3|foreach domain_* [|eval domain_all=min('<<FIELD>>')]

domain_all came back with 3.
can i see the query before you run the foreach command? are you doing a |stats latest(domain_*) as domain_* first since you only want the most recent results?

0 Karma

black_bagel
Engager

Actually, @cmerriman's solution will not work as expected.

When I tried putting other values in the domain fields, domain_all gets the last value foreach sees, which just happens to be domain_field4 in cmerriam's example.

After doing a bit more digging, I managed to find a solution that in fact does return the minimal value no matter the field names' order. 

| makeresults 
| eval domain_field1=5
| eval domain_field2=3
| eval domain_field3=2
| eval domain_field4=6
| eval domain_all=now()+(365*24*60*60)
| foreach domain_* 
    [| eval domain_all=min(domain_all,'<<FIELD>>')]

This works like a classic "find the minimal value in a list" loop by always giving domain_all the smallest seen value.
In my opinion this is a better answer than the accepted answer, since you don't always know what the biggest value could be

Either way, I got the idea from epacke's accepted answer, so thanks for that 🙂

0 Karma

cmerriman
Super Champion

That's a good catch @black_bagel , but you don't have to eval domain_all before you do the foreach statement, you could just have

|makeresults | eval domain_field1=1| eval domain_field2=5| eval domain_field3=4| eval domain_field4=6|foreach domain_* [|eval domain_all=min(domain_all,'<<FIELD>>')]

and that will still produce 1 for domain_all.

epacke
Path Finder

Here's the final query that I used:

| eval laggingdomains=0 | foreach domain_* [|eval laggingdomains=laggingdomains + (5 - '<>')] | sort -_time | table laggingdomains | head 1

Each domain that is lagging behind will increment the counter by 1.

/Patrik

0 Karma

epacke
Path Finder

Thank you for your help. It was invaluable. 🙂

0 Karma

epacke
Path Finder

Thank you! I tried this, but the result was still 5. Want to clarify that I need to evaluate only for the latest event. Did not know that foreach was possible, will check that out.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...