Dashboards & Visualizations

Losing space character when converting dashboard to HTML (which causes data loss) - Can this be avoided?

eroffol
Path Finder

There is a bug I found when I convert my simple XML dashboard to HTML.

On my simple dashboard, I have a search like this, which displays correctly:

| rename totalRecs as "Total Records Out"
| table "Total Records Out"

But, when I convert my dashboard to HTML, my rename loses a character space. The search ends up causing me to have missing data for the "Total Records Out" column because it got renamed to "Total RecordsOut"

| rename totalRecs as "Total RecordsOut" ...
| table "Total Records Out"

I guess I didn't really have a question here, just a minor bug/inconvenience.

0 Karma
1 Solution

eroffol
Path Finder

My original post might have been a little misleading, my simple xml searches were all on one line.

... | rename totalRecs as "Total Records Out" | table "Total Records Out" ...

I didn't get a chance to try your idea because I had already made changes to that dashboard that I didn't want to lose. It seemed like when I added more search text before the rename, this behavior stopped

... | more search text | rename totalRecs as "Total Records Out" | table "Total Records Out" ...

View solution in original post

0 Karma

eroffol
Path Finder

My original post might have been a little misleading, my simple xml searches were all on one line.

... | rename totalRecs as "Total Records Out" | table "Total Records Out" ...

I didn't get a chance to try your idea because I had already made changes to that dashboard that I didn't want to lose. It seemed like when I added more search text before the rename, this behavior stopped

... | more search text | rename totalRecs as "Total Records Out" | table "Total Records Out" ...

0 Karma

DalJeanis
Legend

@eroffol - that's one of the reasons I REALLY don't like to add spaces into a variable name, in any language. Way too much fiddly or squishy stuff happens. Okay, I'm moving your comment to an answer, and you can accept it when you get a chance. This is one of those things that unfortunately gets filed as "Unable to Reproduce".

0 Karma

DalJeanis
Legend

Interesting. Just for kicks, you might reverse those two lines and see if it still happens, and which line it happens to. It worries me that where a line wraps might cause occasional random glitches... in which case any code change can introduce bugs elsewhere in the code.

0 Karma

eroffol
Path Finder

I am using Splunk 6.2.3

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...