Dashboards & Visualizations

Losing space character when converting dashboard to HTML (which causes data loss) - Can this be avoided?

eroffol
Path Finder

There is a bug I found when I convert my simple XML dashboard to HTML.

On my simple dashboard, I have a search like this, which displays correctly:

| rename totalRecs as "Total Records Out"
| table "Total Records Out"

But, when I convert my dashboard to HTML, my rename loses a character space. The search ends up causing me to have missing data for the "Total Records Out" column because it got renamed to "Total RecordsOut"

| rename totalRecs as "Total RecordsOut" ...
| table "Total Records Out"

I guess I didn't really have a question here, just a minor bug/inconvenience.

0 Karma
1 Solution

eroffol
Path Finder

My original post might have been a little misleading, my simple xml searches were all on one line.

... | rename totalRecs as "Total Records Out" | table "Total Records Out" ...

I didn't get a chance to try your idea because I had already made changes to that dashboard that I didn't want to lose. It seemed like when I added more search text before the rename, this behavior stopped

... | more search text | rename totalRecs as "Total Records Out" | table "Total Records Out" ...

View solution in original post

0 Karma

eroffol
Path Finder

My original post might have been a little misleading, my simple xml searches were all on one line.

... | rename totalRecs as "Total Records Out" | table "Total Records Out" ...

I didn't get a chance to try your idea because I had already made changes to that dashboard that I didn't want to lose. It seemed like when I added more search text before the rename, this behavior stopped

... | more search text | rename totalRecs as "Total Records Out" | table "Total Records Out" ...

0 Karma

DalJeanis
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@eroffol - that's one of the reasons I REALLY don't like to add spaces into a variable name, in any language. Way too much fiddly or squishy stuff happens. Okay, I'm moving your comment to an answer, and you can accept it when you get a chance. This is one of those things that unfortunately gets filed as "Unable to Reproduce".

0 Karma

DalJeanis
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Interesting. Just for kicks, you might reverse those two lines and see if it still happens, and which line it happens to. It worries me that where a line wraps might cause occasional random glitches... in which case any code change can introduce bugs elsewhere in the code.

0 Karma

eroffol
Path Finder

I am using Splunk 6.2.3

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...