Dashboards & Visualizations

Is there a way to show a message when no search results are found?

jamie1
Communicator

Hi There,

I have checked multiple other discussions on this forum with people after a similar solution, however, they seemed quite specific, whereas I'm looking for a general method to accomplish this.

Essentially I just want a simple way to show a message of some kind on every dashboard panel that currently doesn't have results to show, instead of the typical "No search results returned".

Any help would be appreciated,

Jamie

Labels (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

OK a bit convoluted, but try this

| appendpipe 
    [| stats count as _count
    | where _count=0
    | fields - _count
    | eval Message="No results at this time"]
| foreach *
    [| eval 1_<<FIELD>>=if("<<FIELD>>"!="Message" AND isnotnull(<<FIELD>>),<<FIELD>>,null())]
| table *
| fields - 1_*

View solution in original post

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

If only you hadn't mentioned Dashboard Studio - it is reasonably easy to do in SimpleXML dashboards using done handlers to set tokens and hiding/showing panels based on these tokens. The panels could be HTML panels with an appropriate message as desired.

jamie1
Communicator

Hi @ITWhisperer 

It's a shame to hear that, as I really like the high amount of customisability that comes with using the dashboard studio.

Overall, would you suggest that the classic dashboard editor is better?

Jamie

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Personally, I only have one Studio dashboard, and that just to test features to see if it is upto requirements yet. Everything else is with Classic dashboards and, to be fair, I do use a reasonable amount of handlers and CSS to enhance the presentation. For example, I have a panel which is displayed while a base search is running, and another while the chained search for the panel is running, and only display the final result when the chained search has completed.

jamie1
Communicator

Thank you for your input, I do hope that they add the functionality for this as requested by @gcusello. It does seem like quite a basic implementation so I was actually surprised to find out that it isn't all that simple.

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

If your panel is a table, you could use appendpipe to add a row with a message in if there are no results

| appendpipe [| stats count as _count | where _count == 0 | eval Message="No results have been found at this time, please try again later!"]

jamie1
Communicator

The issue with that, is that it still shows all of the other fields in the search, I'll attach an image so that you can see what I mean, but it just doesn't look very neat.

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

OK a bit convoluted, but try this

| appendpipe 
    [| stats count as _count
    | where _count=0
    | fields - _count
    | eval Message="No results at this time"]
| foreach *
    [| eval 1_<<FIELD>>=if("<<FIELD>>"!="Message" AND isnotnull(<<FIELD>>),<<FIELD>>,null())]
| table *
| fields - 1_*

jamie1
Communicator

Hey @ITWhisperer 

I've just tested your recommended search, would this work for all visualisation types? Or just statistic tables?

Thanks,

Jamie

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Probably not - visualisations are essentially representations of table data. Referring back to my initial response, with SimpleXML/Classic dashboards, you can use tokens in these situations to display/hide panels.

jamie1
Communicator

Hi There,

The majority of the panels on the dashboard are tables, so I'm going to accept that search as the solution. I do hope that they eventually add the option to display an image or some sort of message for all types of panel when there is no data to be displayed.

Jamie

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @jamie1 ,

I asked this feature in Splunk Ideas and it's classified as a future feature.

If you couls share your search I could help you in the meantime.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

jamie1
Communicator

Hi Giuseppe,

Yeah it is quite surprising that the feature doesn't already exist.

Only issue with sharing the search, is that there is 10+ searches on the current dashboard.

So I think the best course of action for me is probably to wait for the Splunk team to create the feature.

Thank you anyway though,

Jamie

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...