Dashboards & Visualizations

Is there a way to insert Python script in the dashboard to preprocess data?

dannili
Communicator

I've create a dashboard to visualize a business software log analysis. Before adding flume agent I was processing data in excel and then through Python program because there're a lot of tedious field extractions to do, such as extracting about ten fields from one column that's JSON formatted. And then I would manually upload processed .csv file and search in Splunk.

But after adding flume agent, the _raw data was really messy and not responding to my rex search. Also if I were to use rex the search string could be about 100 lines for each dashboard panel. So I was wondering if there's way to insert my Python program to the dashboard source to process data?

my props.config:

> [log_session]INDEXED_EXTRACTIONS =csv 
> FIELD_DELIMITER=,
> [source::/datalake/log/******]
> sourcetype = my_named_source
0 Karma
1 Solution

poete
Builder

Hello @dannili,

I use the following in order to extract fields using a python script.
First, please read this http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/7.1.2/SearchReference/Script, in order to know how to integrate the script to you app.

Then, the scipt by itself looks like:

import splunk.Intersplunk
#import other libs if necessary

results,unused1,unused2 = splunk.Intersplunk.getOrganizedResults()

for result in results:
    #result is an OrderedDict, so you can access the fields by their name
        for item in result.keys():
            if item=='theNameOfTheFieldWhereINeedToExtractSomething':
                #do stuff, and add the extracted info to result
                            result['addedField']=SomeExtractedValue
splunk.Intersplunk.outputResults(results)

You can then call the script as described in http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/7.1.2/SearchReference/Script

View solution in original post

0 Karma

poete
Builder

Hello @dannili,

I use the following in order to extract fields using a python script.
First, please read this http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/7.1.2/SearchReference/Script, in order to know how to integrate the script to you app.

Then, the scipt by itself looks like:

import splunk.Intersplunk
#import other libs if necessary

results,unused1,unused2 = splunk.Intersplunk.getOrganizedResults()

for result in results:
    #result is an OrderedDict, so you can access the fields by their name
        for item in result.keys():
            if item=='theNameOfTheFieldWhereINeedToExtractSomething':
                #do stuff, and add the extracted info to result
                            result['addedField']=SomeExtractedValue
splunk.Intersplunk.outputResults(results)

You can then call the script as described in http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/7.1.2/SearchReference/Script

0 Karma

dannili
Communicator

Thanks for your response. I have a few questions tho. For line 5, results,unused1,unused2 = splunk.Intersplunk.getOrganizedResults(), does it mean initialize all the columns in the file? Also, I use pandas library in Python so the program executes files as unit of columns, so the loop is not necessary in this case. Then will it still work if for result in results:is not included?

0 Karma

poete
Builder

@dannili

Well, I do not know panda well enough to answer your comment. But basically, the results you get from splunk.Intersplunk.getOrganizedResults() is a list of OrderedDict.

The peace of code provided in the answer give a way to walk through all the items being the result of the splunk query.

For each item (result) in the code of the answer, I expect you need to do something in order to extract your data.

0 Karma

dannili
Communicator

ok thanks for your response

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...