Dashboards & Visualizations

Is there a specification page on Splunk docs for default.xml, the App navigation XML file?

rjthibod
Champion

Is there a Splunk documentation page that details the full specification / schema for App navigation file, default.xml, for recent versions of Splunk?

There are specification pages on Splunk docs for so many other files, but I can't find anything that details the full set of options in default.xml for versions 6.3 or newer of Splunk.

1 Solution

lguinn2
Legend

Until 6.5, the manual set included a document called "Developing Views and Apps for Splunk Web." If you look at this page Build navigation for your app in the 6.4.6 documentation, I think it is better and more complete than the current documentation. And AFAIK, it all still works exactly the same way.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

frobinson_splun
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Our current content on default.xml is here on the Splunk developer portal:
http://dev.splunk.com/view/SP-CAAAEP9

We migrated the previous app building content from the "Developing Views..." manual to the dev portal with software version 6.5. All of the previous content was fact-checked and updated for posting on the developer portal, so the dev portal topic should be considered a source of truth.

I'll follow up with my colleague working on the developer portal content to see if we can add more information on the complete schema. Good suggestion!

Graham_Hanningt
Builder

The documentation at the cited URL:

http://dev.splunk.com/view/SP-CAAAEP9

does not mention that you can specify the attribute:

target="_blank"

on the <a> element.

Perhaps readers are meant to assume that the <a> element in default.xml supports all of the attributes of the <a> element in HTML?

0 Karma

fsolercasanova
Explorer

Has there been any expansion on this? Where is the defaults spec page for 7+

0 Karma

Graham_Hanningt
Builder

As of Splunk 7.3.0, app nav bar item labels and their mouseover tooltips for dashboards (perhaps, for all views) are identical: they both show the view label. That is, they show the contents of the <label> element of the dashboard Simple XML. This fixed duplication feels like a missed opportunity for better UX.

Suggestion: Introduce a new title (or tip, or similar) attribute to the <view> element in default.xml which, if omitted, defaults to the contents of the dashboard's <description> element?

Or... perhaps default.xml already supports such an attribute, undocumented?

0 Karma

lguinn2
Legend

Until 6.5, the manual set included a document called "Developing Views and Apps for Splunk Web." If you look at this page Build navigation for your app in the 6.4.6 documentation, I think it is better and more complete than the current documentation. And AFAIK, it all still works exactly the same way.

0 Karma

rjthibod
Champion

Thanks as always @lguinn. That is helpful. I know there are a few small things in there that are missing, so that is why I would really like someone to make a full specification page like the SimpeXML reference page or the conf file pages.

0 Karma

ktugwell_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

I agree, this would be handy to have. I currently use this: http://dev.splunk.com/view/webframework-developapps/SP-CAAAEP9 but it possibly does not contain all the options

rjthibod
Champion

Thank you for sharing. Another data point that I think makes the case for the spec page on docs is the fact that the link you shared was never the top hit while searching for the information I seek.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...