Dashboards & Visualizations

Is there a dashboard to monitor when event data is no longer being sent to Splunk from our hosts?

bluemarvel
Path Finder

Hello,

I am looking for a specific dashboard to detect when an event/log source is no longer sending events. The dashboard has to show and/or indicate with host is no longer sending events. I have something like this as an example, it of course does not work.

index=firewall host=servername | eval status=case (Count < 3,"Host Stopped Sending Data") | table host status Count  |  dedup  1 host  | sort  by status, count
0 Karma
1 Solution

sundareshr
Legend

If the firewall index has data from only one source, you could try this.

index=firewall | stats count by host | where count<3

View solution in original post

0 Karma

somesoni2
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Give this a try (assuming threshold is time, like no data came in last 30 mins)

| metadata type=hosts index=firewall | where host="yourhostname" | eval status=case (recentTime<relative_time(now(),"-30m"),"Host Stopped Sending Data","All is well") | table host status totalCount
0 Karma

becksyboy
Communicator

Hi @somesoni2 when i try this, i get "Error in 'eval' command: The arguments to the 'case' function are invalid." do you know why this is the case?

0 Karma

becksyboy
Communicator

Thanks, some useful links here.

0 Karma

sundareshr
Legend

If the firewall index has data from only one source, you could try this.

index=firewall | stats count by host | where count<3
0 Karma

ddrillic
Ultra Champion

The improved DMC has the view of forwarders which haven't phoned home in the past hour/day, etc. Would it be good for you?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...