Dashboards & Visualizations

Is it possible to use $row.fieldName$ in a drilldown custom URL?

Kreep
Explorer

I'm using Classic dashboard for this.

I'm trying to use some of the results of a search beneath a Line Chart to modify a custom URL, but need to use values other than click.value, click.value2.

For example: I'd like when a user clicks on a line which is grouped by cluster (A field generated with rex), I'd like to take them to a separate page, with that cluster pre-filled in.

Everything I've read says "Just do $row.cluster$", or "$result.cluster". I thought maybe because it's a value generated with rex, that it might not work, but even things like $row.host$, which I've seen recommended in many places, but it always comes through as just "$row.host$", instead of the value of the field.

I even made a token that references $row.host$, and it translates the token to `%3Frow.host%3F` instead of filling in the actual value.

Here's a slightly trimmed down example of the line chart that is not giving me the proper custom values on drilldown (click.value/click.value2 both work, for what it's worth, but *only* those two):

<search>
<query>index="*" sourcetype="infra_memory"
| regex host=".*?bar.*?"
| rex <insert convoluted 'cluster' regex here>
| rex field=host "[^0-9]*(?&lt;stack_num&gt;[0-9]+)-"
| eval memory_usage = ((total-available)/total*100)
| bucket _time span=1hour
| chart p99(memory_usage) by _time, cluster</query>
</search>
<drilldown>
<set token="TEST">$row.host$</set>
<link target="_blank">/test:$TEST$-$row.TEST$,$tkn.TEST$/rowstuff:$row.stack_num$,$row.host$,$row.cluster$-clickstuff:$click.value$,$click.value2$,$click.host$-result:$result.sourcetype$,$result.host$</link>
</drilldown>

(As you can see, I've tried a bunch of different things, in a desperate attempt to find anything that works)

Is what I'm trying to do possible?

Labels (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

Kreep
Explorer

It's not ideal, but I ended up resolving the issue by taking all the info crammed into $click.name2$, and splitting it and stitching back it together in the link section using tokens.

In case anybody stumbles across this down the road, here's how it ended up looking:

<query>index="*prd-infra" sourcetype="infra_cpu"
| rex field=host "(?&lt;cust&gt;[^-]+)-(?&lt;env&gt;[^-]+)-(?&lt;inst&gt;[^-]+)-(?&lt;app&gt;[^-]+)-(?&lt;node&gt;[^0-9]+)-\d+"
| strcat cust "/" env "/" inst "/" app"/" node cluster
| eval cpu_usage = (100-pctIdle)
| chart p99(cpu_usage) as usage by _time, cluster</query>

<drilldown>
<eval token="cust">mvindex(split($cluster$,"/"),0)</eval>
<eval token="env">mvindex(split($cluster$,"/"),1)</eval>
<eval token="inst">mvindex(split($cluster$,"/"),2)</eval>
<eval token="app">mvindex(split($cluster$,"/"),3)</eval>
<eval token="node">mvindex(split($cluster$,"/"),4)</eval>
<link target="_blank">... cluster=$cust$-$env$-$inst$-$app$&amp; ...</link>
</drilldown>

I appreciate all the help in trying to troubleshoot this!

View solution in original post

Kreep
Explorer

It's not ideal, but I ended up resolving the issue by taking all the info crammed into $click.name2$, and splitting it and stitching back it together in the link section using tokens.

In case anybody stumbles across this down the road, here's how it ended up looking:

<query>index="*prd-infra" sourcetype="infra_cpu"
| rex field=host "(?&lt;cust&gt;[^-]+)-(?&lt;env&gt;[^-]+)-(?&lt;inst&gt;[^-]+)-(?&lt;app&gt;[^-]+)-(?&lt;node&gt;[^0-9]+)-\d+"
| strcat cust "/" env "/" inst "/" app"/" node cluster

<drilldown>
<eval token="cust">mvindex(split($cluster$,"/"),0)</eval>
<eval token="env">mvindex(split($cluster$,"/"),1)</eval>
<eval token="inst">mvindex(split($cluster$,"/"),2)</eval>
<eval token="app">mvindex(split($cluster$,"/"),3)</eval>
<eval token="node">mvindex(split($cluster$,"/"),4)</eval>
<link target="_blank">... cluster=$cust$-$env$-$inst$-$app$&amp; ...</link>
</drilldown>

I appreciate all the help in trying to troubleshoot this!

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The $row.field$ construct only works if field exists; otherwise, you get the token as literal text.

In the example, the chart command has discarded all fields except 'p99(memory_usage)', _time, and cluster so those are the only fields can be passed in a drilldown.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

Kreep
Explorer

Interesting, so I've now set my token/drilldown stuff to the following to test those specific fieldnames:

<drilldown>
<set token="TEST">$row.cluster$</set>
<link target="_blank">/token:$TEST$/row:$row.cluster$,etc:$row.p99(cpu_usage)$-$row.cpu_usage$-$row._time$</link>
</drilldown>

And the resulting URL ends with the following:

/token:%24row.cluster%24/row:$row.cluster$,etc:$row.p99(cpu_usage)$-$row.cpu_usage$-1680526800.000

Somehow, it's still ignoring everything but _time, and I can't figure out why.

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I just now realized you're using a chart rather than a table, but the $row.field$ convention should still work.  This table shows the tokens available from a chart.

I wonder if it might help to rename the p99 result and use the new name in a token.

| chart p99(memory_usage) as p99 by _time, cluster</query>

Token Description

$click.name$ X-axis field or category name for the clicked location. Not available if the user clicks the chart legend.

$click.value$ X-axis field or category value for the clicked location. Not available if the user clicks the chart legend.

$click.name2$ Y-axis field or series name for the clicked location. Not available if the user clicks the chart legend.

$click.value2$ Y-axis field or series value for the clicked location. Not available if the user clicks the chart legend.

$row.<fieldname>$ Access any y-axis field value corresponding to the clicked location x-axis. Not available if the user clicks the chart

legend.

$row.<x-axis-name>$ Access any x-axis field value corresponding to the clicked location. Not available if the user clicks the chart legend.

$earliest$ Earliest time for the clicked chart segment. If not applicable, uses the earliest time for the search.

---
0 Karma

Kreep
Explorer

Now using:

<search>
<query>index="*" sourcetype="infra_cpu"
| regex host=".*bar.*"
| rex <insert convoluted 'cluster' regex here>
<earliest>-24h@h</earliest>
<latest>now</latest>
<sampleRatio>1</sampleRatio>
</search>
<drilldown>
<set token="TEST">$row.usage$</set>
<link target="_blank">/ $row.cluster$ - $row.usage$ - $TEST$</link>
</drilldown>

Still, the only thing that yields any results at all are $click.____$ values.

I don't know if it's relevant, but this is on Splunk 8.2.9, could there be a bug of some sort, or am I just misusing drilldowns?

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I don't know what else to suggest.  Perhaps the $row.field$ construct doesn't work with the chart type you're using.

---
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...