Dashboards & Visualizations

Is it possible to store $job.earliestTime$ and $job.latestTime$ values in two variables?

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi to all,

Does anyone know if it is possible to store $job.earliestTime$ and $job.latestTime$ in two variables?
I have to match these values with a lookup containing a list of dates in a search.

Thank you.
Bye.
Giuseppe

1 Solution

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

No this solution doesn't work.
I solved storing my date list in an index instead of a lookup: in this way each item has an own timestamp and I can use them.

View solution in original post

nfilippi_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Not sure if this matches to you use case here, but Splunk 6.3 introduces search event handlers to access job metadata that might get you close to what you are looking for.

From a search and simple xml standpoint, it looks like this:

<search>
   <query>index=foo bar</query>
   <earliest>-60m@m</earliest>
   <latest>now</latest>

<progress>
        <set token="myEarliest">$job.earliestTyime$</set>
        <set token="myLatest">$job.latestTyime$</set>
    </progress>
<search>

The above simple xml snippet grabs the job earliestTime/latestTime, and sets tokens based on them, making these tokens available throughout the page.

usernamejpblais
Engager

Hi,

I was wondering if you had any response regarding how to change the format of those 2 variables: $job.earliestime$$joblatestime$

Thanks!

0 Karma

skender27
Contributor

Hi,

And how is it possible to change the format of these two variables:
let's suppose $job.earliestime$ shows 2015-11-03T00:00:00.000+01:00

What if I needed to see only the date and no time zone (not the part T00:00:00.000+01:00)?
Is it possible?

Thanks,
Skender

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

No this solution doesn't work.
I solved storing my date list in an index instead of a lookup: in this way each item has an own timestamp and I can use them.

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Just use eval to make a copy like this:

... | eval jobEarliestTime = $job.earliestTime$ | eval jobLatestTime = $job.latestTime$ ...

Muwafi
Path Finder

Hello @woodcock, you are a wonderful Splunker. I wanna thank you for all efforts you are providing here.

Regarding the $job.latestTime$ token , in case if you are choosing the preset time "All Time" from the Time Picker, the value is of the token will be null or "NaN".

So how to add a condition using eval if to force it to be eqal to now() in such case?

0 Karma

to4kawa
Ultra Champion

Time ranges(Settings » User interface » Time ranges):

Name    Label   Order   Earliest time   Latest time Owner
all_time    All time    500 0           No owner
0 Karma

Muwafi
Path Finder

Thanks , I changed the Latest Time to "now" and it's working.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Updated Team Landing Page in Splunk Observability

We’re making some changes to the team landing page in Splunk Observability, based on your feedback. The ...

New! Splunk Observability Search Enhancements for Splunk APM Services/Traces and ...

Regardless of where you are in Splunk Observability, you can search for relevant APM targets including service ...

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...