Dashboards & Visualizations

Is it possible to generate a PDF of a full dashboard and all its panels in a single page with Splunk 6.4?

o_calmels
Communicator

Hi Splunkers,

Has anyone found a way to generate a PDF file that has the same layout as the Dashboard with multiple panels? When I generate a PDF in Splunk 6.4, each panel is printed in a single page, so the entire layout is ignored and all the data is shown in 7 pages. This document is generated for my CIO, so I need all the panels in a single A4 page only!

Like this post https://answers.splunk.com/answers/67071/new-pdf-generation-limitations.html, this feature is missing.
I run actually Splunk 5.0.11 and plan to migrate to 6.4, but if I can't generate PDF files as my dashboards layout, the migration is compromised.

Thanks.

You can find the dashboard on the following link : XML Dashboard File

emeelan_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Keep an eye on The Dashboards App: http://splunkbase.splunk.com/app/4710/ . Currently it must be installed using the CLI, but the next version, v 0.3.2, which will be coming out soon, will be installed like any other app. New and enhanced versions of the dashboard and visualization experience will be added with each release, and though we don't yet have content export, it's at the top of the list for an upcoming release.

This is a total re-work of the Dashboard Framework and totally worth checking out. If your existing Simple XML dashboards have features supported by the version of the App you have installed, you can convert them to the new framework, which features a really cool visual editor and JSON source code. If you can't convert your dash, than you can always create a new one within the app.

Finally, I can't stress enough. This is a beta app - so your feedback and suggestions will really influence its direction. You can find the email for the beta app team to leave feedback in the docs: https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/DashApp/latest/DashApp/IntroApp
;)

Cheers,
Eve

0 Karma

centrafraserk
Path Finder

Hi Emeelan,

I have downloaded the latest version and I think there is potential to solve a long running issue with Splunk which is that the exports of dashboards are essentially useless. I noticed it still says coming soon, however this is something I need for a current project. Any ETA on the export feature?

0 Karma

emeelan_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

I promise you all — it's high, high priority. We’re investing in the new dashboards framework beta, including content export there. Please feel free to contact the team with specific requests for enhancement - they closely monitor the inbox: dashboards-beta@splunk.com.

When we get Content Export working better, it'll be in a future version of this app: https://splunkbase.splunk.com/app/4710/

sudoritz
Explorer

will this utilize a puppeteer like screen scraping for an export like.

separately i wanted to look at an ability to do somewhat timelapse of what the dashboard was doing during say an event we can look back on (our case is user traffic/heatmaap/walk path/Core router flows). or aggreate that in a dashboard-mini summary index so screen playback on when an event happened you can see how the dashboard interacted with data.

but thats cool a newer framework is coming i left PLENTY of feedback a month ago i hope it just gets better and better.

0 Karma

emeelan_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

It is and it will!

As for the rest of your comment, you'd have to talk with the engineers for that info. I'm just the tech writer 🙂
Here's the email alias for the Splunk Dashboard App (beta) only: dashboards-beta@splunk.com.

0 Karma

jadengoho
Builder

Nov 29 2019 - Still on update ?
Hope Splunk Add it on Major Update (8.0.0)

0 Karma

venky1544
Builder

Hi

Has anyone got a resolution for this issue

0 Karma

sudoritz
Explorer

this is one of the main reasons why we push reports to Tableau to control it but not everyone has a nice reporting tool on the fly 🙂

Hope core splunk has this soon.

0 Karma

emeelan_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

We are still working on this issue and it is considered a priority. I can't give you an exact timeline, but I can tell you that export to PNG (which will solve many of the problems you all are encountering) is a part of a larger project that will be going into our partner beta program very soon.

I hope this helps, and I wish I could be more specific, but I don't have a firm timeline.

Cheers,
Eve

0 Karma

jeswin96
Engager

Hello emeelan,
This is a pressing issue,which solves the problem of saving dashboards in the same format as it is shown in the dashboard.Please lets us know when we can expect this feature.

0 Karma

emeelan_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Please see my comment — it got moved to page 2.

Eve

0 Karma

qhmassc
Explorer

is there any update on this? we have the same issue. is it updated with 8.0.0 release? Thanks

0 Karma

venky1544
Builder

Hi qhmassc

not sure its updated in 8.0.0 but i have got around this issue by using the below app splunk smart exporter
https://splunkbase.splunk.com/app/4030/

its the best you can get for the moment and would really recommend to use this
just play with the settings of orientation and format for this app and you might able to capture all the panels in one pdf i used A1 or A2 settings in the format option in the app

thanks
venky1544

0 Karma

qhmassc
Explorer

does it support Enterprise 8.0.0?

0 Karma

venky1544
Builder

i haven't tested it yet with 8.0 version i had tested with 7.3

0 Karma

o_calmels
Communicator

Hi emeelan. Thank's for this update.

Cheers.

0 Karma

nagar57
Communicator

Hi Emeelan. Is there any further progress on this requirement? Or it is already implemented? I am also facing the same issue and the Business Users wants the layout to be maintained while exporting to PDF. Any workaround that you can suggest?

0 Karma

emeelan_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Please see my post on page two of this thread.

Eve

0 Karma

Kendo213
Communicator

I'm also dealing with this issue - and the SmartPDF app doesn't work well with dashboards that have many panels.

0 Karma

tkerriga

I know this doesn't answer the question but maybe presents a temporary solution. I ran into same problem. I found that doing a print to adobe from the browser, in general, keeps the format of the dashboard. You have to play with the setting of adobe(landscape mode, proper paper size, margins) but it's gets pretty close. It was close enough for my needs. I did add some page breaks to the source data to create separation in certain spots so that it would separated things properly. You also need to play with how your dashboard is laid out. It's not elegant, but if you get it set once you should be able to use it week to week to get the pdf output . I just wish it was not so manual. Also there are some gotchas, different panel type displays react differently so you just have to be willing to do some trial and error to get it the way that is acceptable for you.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...