Dashboards & Visualizations

Is it possible to create a shared legend in Trellis charts?

mholme59
Explorer

Hello all,

My organization just rolled out 6.6 over the weekend. I have immediately become infatuated with trellises - what a great feature!

One thing I have been unable to accomplish is to have a shared legend for many charts. For one search, I want a trellis with many charts, and one shared legend within the trellis panel. I do not want a legend on each individual chart taking up valuable real estate.

We can use this simple search as an example:

index=_internal | timechart count as "Event Count" by host

From this result, I would want to see many charts within one panel showing the count over time. Then a shared legend would show "Event Count" as blue somewhere within the panel. Is this possible?

Thanks in advance for any insights,
Matt

1 Solution

cmerriman
Super Champion

i don't think that it is currently a built-in option to have one shared legend for trellis at the moment. i do think it would be a good enhancement request, however, as i'm sure other users would like the same functionality.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

niketn
Legend

@mholmes, I was not able to identify which event/token will ensure that svg has been plotted, including highcharts-legend.

However, I was able to hide all the Legends except for the last one using jQuery with 5 seconds added delay (possibly you can come up with better JavaScript as per your need or increase the delay.)

var components = [
     "splunkjs/ready!",
     "splunkjs/mvc/simplexml/ready!",
     "jquery"
 ];

require(components, function(
     mvc,
     ignored,
     $
 ) {
    // Remove SVG HighChart Legend Only after it is plotted. Using setTimeOut it is set to 5 seconds(5000 ms)
        setTimeout(function(){
        $('#trellisChart1 .highcharts-legend:not(:last)').remove();
        },5000);
 });

PS: Above is based on trellis chart with ID trellisChart1 in Simple XML.

<row>
    <panel>
      <chart id="trellisChart1">

For testing I had applied Legend placement as bottom in Simple XML.

<option name="charting.legend.placement">bottom</option>

cmerriman
Super Champion

i don't think that it is currently a built-in option to have one shared legend for trellis at the moment. i do think it would be a good enhancement request, however, as i'm sure other users would like the same functionality.

0 Karma

mholme59
Explorer

Thank you for the quick response! That is disappointing, I'll hope to see this feature in a future release.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...