Dashboards & Visualizations

Howto Add Annotations to a Graph?

muebel
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I have a line graph that charts the consumed disk capacity for many hosts. It is very nice for giving a rough idea of the trends, and if I hover over the line at a specific point in time, I can get the capacity value at that time.

How would I be able to make a permanent marker or annotation at obvious points of interest? For instance, a 4% or %5 jump in consumed disk?

1 Solution

Paolo_Prigione
Builder

Hi muebel, I fear right now it is not possible: the "annotation" charts have not yet been implemented and on the module reference I can see no config for sticking permanent labels.

Moreover "obvious" points of interests should be something you have to help splunk figure out. A workaround could be to timechart something like the following, which might help you spot out potential issues:

| bucket _time span=1h | stats count(_raw) as c by _time,host | delta c as delta p=1 | eval perc_variation = round((delta * 100 / (c - delta)),1) | eval abs_variation=abs(perc_variation) | where abs_variation > 5 | fields host, c, perc_variation

View solution in original post

Paolo_Prigione
Builder

Hi muebel, I fear right now it is not possible: the "annotation" charts have not yet been implemented and on the module reference I can see no config for sticking permanent labels.

Moreover "obvious" points of interests should be something you have to help splunk figure out. A workaround could be to timechart something like the following, which might help you spot out potential issues:

| bucket _time span=1h | stats count(_raw) as c by _time,host | delta c as delta p=1 | eval perc_variation = round((delta * 100 / (c - delta)),1) | eval abs_variation=abs(perc_variation) | where abs_variation > 5 | fields host, c, perc_variation
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...