Dashboards & Visualizations

How/where to edit a prebuilt panel?

brorymes

I have a couple of "documentation" panels in one of my dashboards - each contains a single html tag bracketing the formatted text contents (no searches, etc., just nested bulleted and/or numbered lists). One provides condensed debug information = token values. The other provides release notes and lists known issues for the current version of the dashboard. I collect both in panels so that I can hide them (keeping the dashboard tidy) unless they are called up by yes/no "Show Debug" and "Show Notes" inputs.
I currently update these panels by editing the entire dashboard in the Simple XML editor - but I'd rather be able to edit these in isolation, without opening up (and risking accidental damage to) the entire dashboard - so I tried converting them to pre-built panels.
The questions:
1. Is there somewhere that I can edit a pre-built panel? I don't see the names I assigned them in the Dashboards or Reports lists.
(Is editing them not permitted/provided, because they're "pre-built"?)
2. Does someone have an alternate approach to embedding documentation in (or linking it to) a dashboard?
Thanks!

0 Karma
1 Solution

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

You go to Settings -> User interface -> Prebuilt panels.

Not everything shows up under Settings -> All configurations !

View solution in original post

niketn
Legend

Pre-built panels should be constructed more in a way so that they are re-usable contents across all your dashboards. Since their code is not exposed within Simple XML you can change them only from Prebuilt panels menu.

Based on the needs that you have described you can also try embedding an HTML page directly in your Dashboard. Refer to HTML examples in Splunk 6.x Dashboard Examples App.

brorymes

Thanks niketnilay! You are correct, this is not the intended use of pre-built panels - I'm only doing it to separate these documentation panels (which are not reusable, being specific to one version of the containing dashboard) from the dashboard XML proper, which is quite large. I'll look into your embedded HTML page suggestion.
Thanks again!

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

You go to Settings -> User interface -> Prebuilt panels.

Not everything shows up under Settings -> All configurations !

brorymes

Concise and accurate - thanks woodcock!

0 Karma

alacercogitatus
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Howdy!

Pre-built panels are just another type of knowledge object. They reside in $APP_HOME/[default|local]/data/ui/panels. You can edit there, and <splunk>/en-US/debug/refresh?entity=admin/panels to reload the contents. You can refer to them in any dashboard you want, as long as permissions are correct.

Edit: Here's the link http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.6.1/Viz/AddPanels#Create_and_add_a_panel_by_reference

brorymes

Thanks alacercogitatus for this more expansive answer - the link is helpful, covers the whole subject of adding panels, as well as editing pre-built ones.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...