Dashboards & Visualizations

How to restrict a user's role to only view a dashboard and prevent them from running searches?

sympatiko
Communicator

Hi,

Good day splunkers! Is there a way to restrict a user or set a role wherein if the user logs in, they can only see the dashboard?

Thanks,

1 Solution

ngatchasandra
Builder

Hi sympatiko,
After creating user, create a role for this user and assign this role only the read permission for dashboard.

Please, create a role for this user before create this user, thus you can assign this role for this user and assign only the read permission for this user role.

View solution in original post

somesoni2
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Try these steps:

1. Create a read-only-user role and assign it to that specific user.
 2. For the dashboard this user needs access, provide Read access to the read-only-user role.
 3. For 'search' dashboard under Splunk's search app, Update the permission from "Everyone Read" to "Read to Everyone except read-only-user"

splunkreal
Motivator

GREAT!!!

In fact we need to go User interface or all configurations/Views/Search => permissions and disable read on the read-only role.

Thanks!!!

* If this helps, please upvote or accept solution 🙂 *
0 Karma

sympatiko
Communicator

Hi,

Thanks for the tips. I already manage to solve =).

0 Karma

ohignett

How did you manage to already solve it?

-oLIVER

0 Karma

googs524
Explorer

Hi, any idea how you are able to solve this? I am interested to know about the solution as I have a similar problem. I have a dashboard to run, but I don't want user to run the search.

0 Karma

splunkreal
Motivator

Hi, go to Parameters / All configurations : search => permissions

* If this helps, please upvote or accept solution 🙂 *
0 Karma

ngatchasandra
Builder

Hi sympatiko,
After creating user, create a role for this user and assign this role only the read permission for dashboard.

Please, create a role for this user before create this user, thus you can assign this role for this user and assign only the read permission for this user role.

sympatiko
Communicator

Hi sandra,

Thanks for the tips. I actually did that one, is there any possibilities that the user can see dashboard but cannot do search?

Thanks,

0 Karma

ngatchasandra
Builder

Yes, only edit the user role that you have created and under the Capabilities, don't select search in the capabilities list that your role user can have and save.

0 Karma

sympatiko
Communicator

Thank you. Do you think is there a way to disable the scrolling bar on the splunk screen?

0 Karma

ngatchasandra
Builder

Horizontal (when is occur) bar or vertical bar or both? .

0 Karma

sympatiko
Communicator

Hi Sandra, Nevermind that one. I'm more concern about the Capabilities of a user, I tested it but it looks like the search capability is required in order to view the dashboard.

0 Karma

ngatchasandra
Builder

For me, if you don't want that user cannot search, either:

• under Indexes, don't select no index, leave input Selected search indexes blank and save. Thus, your user cannot run search.

• create an app for this dashboard and in the default nav four your app, only call the dashboards which user will see like this for example:

`

`
After do this edit your user and give it this app context by default

sympatiko
Communicator

Hi Sandra,

I've followed what you said regarding "under Indexes, don't select no index, leave input Selected search indexes blank and save. Thus, your user cannot run search." . Yes it cannot run search aswell as the dashboard on the use default nav.

Thanks,

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...