Dashboards & Visualizations

How to restrict a dashboard panel to stop executing when a wild card or asterisk is given in the input field ?

pavanae
Builder

I have a Splunk dashboard as follows with some input fields. 

pavanae_1-1643676281896.png

Now As you can see above by default the input value for host column is wild card * . Now, If I click the checkbox "show" under Latency validation check it will display a panel below it. 

Now, as a good practice how do I disable executing the search when some one used the wild card in host input as the input will be used as a token for the search. 

I mean only when a valid hostname is given as an input for Host the search should execute for the Latency Validation check. 

Note :-

Here I need the wild card as a default entry for host input as there are some other panels which uses that wild card but I only wanted to restrict the use of wild card to only one particular panel. 

Code can be found below :- 

<input type="text" token="host">
      <label>Host</label>
      <default>*</default>
    </input>
    <input type="checkbox" token="overview">
      <label>Latency Validation Check</label>
      <choice value="true">Show</choice>
      <change>
        <condition label="Show">
          <set token="overview">true</set>
        </condition>
      </change>
    </input>

0 Karma

VatsalJagani
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Update the token for host filter to "host_temp".

Use similar <change> for host input and use <condition> and with <eval> check if the value contains * (wildcard) or not.

If it does not contain a wildcard set a new token "host".

If it contains wildcard unset the token "host".

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...