Dashboards & Visualizations

How to remove search button below the panel and search capabilities as well

varad_joshi
Communicator

I have couple of related things to be addressed. 

• I want to remove the search button from the panels so that users from specific roles can only see the dashboards.

While the 'user' cannot see the search button, I want admins to see that option. 

So putting <option name="link.openSearch.visible">false</option> in the XML is ruled out. 

Is there any other way?

• I do not want users to have the search capabilities as well. If I am doing that, the searches in dashboards are also not working. Can I make them see the dashboards but take away the capabilities of running the ad-hoc searches? 

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Karma

niketn
Legend

@varad_joshi you can refer to one of my older answers to use logged in user role in Splunk Dashboard and enable/disable required inputs for non-admins:https://community.splunk.com/t5/Security/Can-i-restrict-permissions-for-the-text-box-drilldown-input.... In your case you would need to hide the Open in Search link.

<init>
    <set token="searchShowHideCSS">visibility: hidden !important;</set>
  </init>
  <search>
    <progress>
      <!-- No Results Found - Hence admin role is attached with logged in user enable Open in Search Link-->
      <condition match="$job.resultCount$==0">
        <set token="searchShowHideCSS"></set>
      </condition>
      <!-- Hence admin role is not attached with logged in user -->
      <condition>
        <set token="searchShowHideCSS">visibility: hidden !important;</set>
      </condition>
    </progress>
    <query>| rest splunk_server=local /services/authentication/current-context 
| fields username roles 
| eval roles=mvjoin(roles,",") 
| search roles!="admin"</query>
    <earliest>$earliest$</earliest>
    <latest>$latest$</latest>
  </search>
  <row depends="$alwaysHideCSSPanel$">
    <panel>
      <html>
        <style>
          a[data-original-title="Open in Search"]{
            $searchShowHideCSS$
          }
        </style>
      </html>
    </panel>
  </row>

For the second question you may have to provide more details. If you can provide users with results from a predefined Report or Scheduled search you can use the loadjob command, hence abstracting the underlying search. Users can have access to the report but not to search.

dionrivera
Path Finder

Any suggestions how to do this in Studio using json? Thank you.

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

This thread is over three years old, is not related to Dashboard Studio, and involves a user who is no longer on the forum.  Please post a new question.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...