Dashboards & Visualizations

How to ping server using splunk without add-on app ?

karthi2809
Builder

However we are trying to achive ping status in a dashboard .And also pingcommand app is not supported in splunk and we are not to use apps like network toolkit. How to ping server without using any apps.

Labels (2)
0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @karthi2809,

to ping one or more servers, you have to create a shall script containing the ping command.

Then you have to run this script by Splunk (Universal Forwarder or another (ore more) Splunk instance in your network putting the script and the scipted input in a dedicated Add-On.

In this way the output of the ping script will be sent to Splunk and you can search for your results.

About the script, I'm not a scripting expert, but your have to put in a .sh file the commands to be executed (ping host1, pause, ping host 2, pause, etc...).

then create an inputs.conf that runs this script, something like this:

[script://ping.sh]
interval = 3600
index = os
sourcetype = ping
disabled = false

Ciao.

Giuseppe

karthi2809
Builder

Hi @gcusello  

The script should place in which server is the splunk server or which i installed UF and i have access for the server. How to access my script which i placed in UF where i installed.

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @karthi2809,

you can locate the script in each server that has Splunk Enterprise or Universal Forwarder, it's the same.

probably you have to install more copies of this app because I suppose that you have to ping server in different network slices.

Remember that you have to locate the entire app in each server: in the app will be both the script (in the bin folder) and inputs.conf (in the local folder).

then check the execution rights for the script.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...