Dashboards & Visualizations

How to migrate an existing app/dashboard in an old instance of Splunk Enterprise 8.0 to a new instance in Splunk Cloud?

Roy_9
Motivator

This is a custom app available on Splunk enterprise instance and it needs to be moved to Splunk cloud instance. Both are different instances. 

Looking for help on the process/steps that needs to be performed.

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

putnamblake
Path Finder

Depending on the environment setup distributed or stand alone- go to the $SPLUNK_HOME/splunk/etc/apps/my-custom-app and copy the entire folder and place it I’m the same directory of the new instance .

if it’s a distributed environment log into the deployment server and navigate to $SPLUNK_HOME/splunk/etc/deploymentapps/my-custom-app and do the same thing.  Makes sure to grab the serverclass.conf as well if you created one for the app.

View solution in original post

putnamblake
Path Finder

Depending on the environment setup distributed or stand alone- go to the $SPLUNK_HOME/splunk/etc/apps/my-custom-app and copy the entire folder and place it I’m the same directory of the new instance .

if it’s a distributed environment log into the deployment server and navigate to $SPLUNK_HOME/splunk/etc/deploymentapps/my-custom-app and do the same thing.  Makes sure to grab the serverclass.conf as well if you created one for the app.

Roy_9
Motivator

@putnamblake  Thanks for the response. This custom app has a dashboard, after copying the app to the new instance, how about the data? Any suggestions? I am looking to populate the data in this new dashboard after moving to the new instance. 

0 Karma

putnamblake
Path Finder

@Roy_9 for getting data in the UF’s that send the data would need to have the outputs.conf reconfigured to send to the new indexers/ instance or HF if that’s how you have it configured. Same process on the receiving end, edit the inputs.conf to accept from named port for the UFs. Back filling data isn’t an issue, if the host forwarding has data as far back as 1950 then when you onboard that host the data will fill also (and eat your license) if the custom app isn’t defined to only take data that’s new/ x long ago till present.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...