Dashboards & Visualizations

How to highlight data points on timechart?

POR160893
Builder

Hi,

I have the following query to detect outliers in eps:
index=_internal sourcetype=splunkd component=metrics group=per_source_thruput series="*syslog-ng*" host=*hf*
| eval hfgroup=substr(host, 0, 5), eps=eps/2, NodeName=UPPER(mvindex(split(host, "."), 0))
| lookup Cybersecurity_Infrastructure NodeName OUTPUT NodeID
| bucket _time span=1h
| timechart span=1h sum(eps) as Eps
| eval HourOfDay=strftime(_time, "%H")
| eval BucketMinuteOfHour=strftime(_time, "%M")
| eval DayOfWeek=strftime(_time, "%A")
| streamstats avg(Eps) as avg stdev(Eps) as stdev by HourOfDay BucketMinuteOfHour DayOfWeek
| eval AbsDev = abs(Eps - avg)
| streamstats avg(AbsDev) as MAD stdev(AbsDev) as MADStdev by HourOfDay, BucketMinuteOfHour, DayOfWeek
| eval UpperBound = avg + (3 * MAD)
| eval LowerBound = avg - (3 * MAD)
| eval isOutlier=if(Eps > UpperBound OR Eps < LowerBound, "true", "false")
| where isOutlier="true"

However, I need the output to be just 1 trend line, representing Time, with outliers represented as red dots at the time of occurence.

Currently, I am receiving all these unnecessary ;ine with no red dots representing outliers:

Can you please help?

Many thanks!

Labels (5)
Tags (1)
0 Karma

POR160893
Builder

@richgalloway @ITWhisperer, have either of you any help or advice on how I can alter this query to have a single timechart trend line of time with only outlier points mark red to be shown on the outputted chart?

Many thanks for your help!

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Have you consider the Outlier Chart viz?

index=_internal sourcetype=splunkd component=metrics group=per_source_thruput series="*syslog-ng*" host=*hf*
| eval hfgroup=substr(host, 0, 5), eps=eps/2, NodeName=UPPER(mvindex(split(host, "."), 0))
| bucket _time span=1h
| streamstats avg(Eps) as avg stdev(Eps) as stdev by HourOfDay BucketMinuteOfHour DayOfWeek
| streamstats avg(AbsDev) as MAD stdev(AbsDev) as MADStdev by HourOfDay, BucketMinuteOfHour, DayOfWeek
| table _time Eps LowerBound UpperBound

You may be able to change the colour of the outliers with CSS (or give your stakeholder some rose-tinted glasses so everything appears to be red!) 😀

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Give this a try

| bucket _time span=1h
| eval Outlier_Eps=if(Eps > UpperBound OR Eps < LowerBound, Eps, null())
| table _time Outlier_Eps

POR160893
Builder

Hi,

This did not work as I need a continuous line representing Time with ONLY outliers represented as points on this line and these Outlier points must be red. That is what the stakeholder has requested.

Your query gave a discontinuous line with blue dots for Outliers:

POR160893_0-1681913542954.png

Can you please help?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...