Dashboards & Visualizations

How to have the same navigation panel option on the main page and the drilldown sub pages?

jiaqya
Builder

Situation : I have a main page from where I have drilldowns to different sub pages.
I would like to have the same navigation panel option on all the pages, ie on the main page + drill down sub pages.

What is the best way to do it?

So if I change the navigation panel on the main page, will it auto update to the sub pages?
The sub pages could be from different apps.

Need guidance.

John.

0 Karma

niketn
Legend

@jiaqya, first off, there is an option in Splunk Answers for your to attach images using URL from image sharing sites like imgur.

Having said that, thanks for detailed explanation, I think I grasp your question.

1. Navigation XML for different Apps are independent of each other, so they can not be shared. There could be a possibility to push default.xml from a single location in Deployment server to multiple apps. To be frank this is my theoretical assumption as I have not tried this.
  2. You should try to explore Pre-built Panel that can be made global. This way a Panel with Dropdown Menu configured can be shared across Apps. You will however, need to Hide Splunk App Bar using hideAppBar configuration. Refer to one of my previous answers to do this: https://answers.splunk.com/answers/595047/can-we-implement-cascading-dropdowns-in-a-dashboar.html

jiaqya
Builder

Would this method work ?

i create a default.xml in search app
then i create a link to this file in all other apps for the default.xml under navigation folder.

im going to try this, but just want to know if this can be preferred.

this way i have to do changes only on xml file

0 Karma

jiaqya
Builder

This solution of creating soft link for default.xml worked perfectly fine.

but i have another problem now.

since the main xml file is being loaded now, the default entry in that xml file is of that app.
is there a way to modify the xml file in a way that it picks up the existing app dynamically.

here is the entry "default="true"", can this by dynamic...

0 Karma

jiaqya
Builder

Thinks found a solution for this.

Best way to get this to work is use links instead of views in the default.xml
the same xml file can be used for all the required apps.
this will ensure that when you click on the navigation bar, it takes you to the appropriate app and when you edit , it changes on that xml in that app.
so the case of changes to a single xml for any app would be taken care.

only change required would be the default=true value which should be that of the app

ex: below , i found this method to be good.

nav search_view="search" color="#DC381F">
view name="inventory_dashboard" default="true" />
a href="https://link1:8000/en-US/app/metrics/testmetrics">Link1 Metrics
a href="https://link2:8000/en-US/app/metrics/testmetrics">Link2 Metrics
a href="https://link3:8000/en-US/app/metrics/testmetrics">Link3 Metrics
view name="search" />
view name="dashboards" />
/nav>

all of it can be the same , except for the default=true line, that should actually be of the app default..

0 Karma

niketn
Legend

@jiaqya, so you have used Splunk's Navigation XML to be used across Apps as per suggestion 1. Suggestion 2 is also on similar lines, however, since you would be using a global Dashboard (or even better a prebuilt panel), you will have more control over display using HTML panels with flexibility of HTML and CSS. Sample code of second approach is in the answers link posted above.

In any case do accept the Answer if it helped.

niketn
Legend

@jiaqya could you add mock ups of what you have and what you need?

jiaqya
Builder

i do not have enough points to post a image or picture.

but here is what i have and what i need.

on the main page panel, i have 4 options.
search,dashboards,mainpage,maingpage2

on the main page itself, i have 2 panels which have drill downs configured to redirect to their respective apps.
now when i drill down, it has a different navigation panel and with also a different color.
what i need is to have the same look and feel on the sub dashboard as it was on the main dashboard.

i find a way to do this is to copy the xml files from nav/views folder from main page app to the other 2 apps.

now , question is, if i do any changes on the main page app navigation panel, will it also update to the other 2 apps as i am using the same names . or should i manually update the xml files on the other 2 apps as well..

hope i was clear with my question..

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...