Dashboards & Visualizations

How to have a dashboard display an image that is being updated dynamically?

mdwecht
Path Finder

I have a python custom search command that generates a plot i.e. plot.png. The custom command writes the image file to the app's /appserver/static/images folder. A dashboard displays plot.png so an analyst can make changes to the custom search command's arguments. The custom search command is run again and the image file, plot.png, is overwritten in the apps static images folder. Is there a way to have the updated image display, in a production environment, without restarting Splunk and reloading the page?

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

niketn
Legend

@mdwecht I dont think for Production you can turn off caching. Only for Development environment you can enable web.conf config for no caching so that new static files are loaded (which again would require bump or refresh). Event after that Browser may also cache static file which may show previously loaded image instead of the new one.  https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/AdvancedDev/CustomVizTutorial#Development_mode_s...

Can you custom command generate SVG code as search result so that you can plot image directly using SPL with Scalable Vector Graphics Custom visualization?

View solution in original post

niketn
Legend

@mdwecht I dont think for Production you can turn off caching. Only for Development environment you can enable web.conf config for no caching so that new static files are loaded (which again would require bump or refresh). Event after that Browser may also cache static file which may show previously loaded image instead of the new one.  https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/AdvancedDev/CustomVizTutorial#Development_mode_s...

Can you custom command generate SVG code as search result so that you can plot image directly using SPL with Scalable Vector Graphics Custom visualization?

mdwecht
Path Finder

Thanks - I ended up writing a custom SVG visualization and that solved my problem for now. Yes, I have another chunk of code to maintain but at least for now we have the dynamic update of the plot that was required.

0 Karma

b_aishwarya

Can you please help with some options to upload a custom image & plotting  coordinates on that image based on spl condition. tried out custom image map viz , but no luck

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...