Dashboards & Visualizations

How to generate search from dashboard input with variable number of values?

sptz16

This seems to be a very simple requirement, but I'm unable to find a solution: I built a dashboard where the user enters an ip address which will then be used in a search like:

dest=$ip$

Now what I need is a way to search for 1 or more ip addresses. So, if the user enters "10.1.1.1 10.2.2.8 10.3.3.3" then the following search must be generated:

(dest=10.1.1.1 OR dest=10.2.2.8  OR dest=10.3.3.3)

Is there a way to do this?

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

HiroshiSatoh
Champion

You can edit the value of the text field with a subquery.

index=XXX [search noop|stats count | eval dest="$ip$"|eval dest=split(dest," ") |table dest]|・・・・
↓Correct.
index=XXX [| noop|stats count | eval dest="$ip$"|eval dest=split(dest," ") |mvexpand dest|fields dest] |・・・・
(It still worked)
index=XXX [| noop|stats count | eval dest="$ip$"|eval dest=split(dest," ") |fields dest] |・・・・

View solution in original post

0 Karma

DalJeanis
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

For an explanation of how HiroshiSatoh's answer works, see the "format" command.

https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.5.2/Search/Changetheformatofsubsearchresults

0 Karma

HiroshiSatoh
Champion

You can edit the value of the text field with a subquery.

index=XXX [search noop|stats count | eval dest="$ip$"|eval dest=split(dest," ") |table dest]|・・・・
↓Correct.
index=XXX [| noop|stats count | eval dest="$ip$"|eval dest=split(dest," ") |mvexpand dest|fields dest] |・・・・
(It still worked)
index=XXX [| noop|stats count | eval dest="$ip$"|eval dest=split(dest," ") |fields dest] |・・・・

0 Karma

sptz16

Ah, but now it's getting more complicated. I need to search for the address list in src AND dest fields, so I tried:

[search noop | stats count | eval src="$cidr" | eval src=split(src, " "), dest=split(src, " ") |
 table src, dest ]

But it only returns events where src matches. And this:

[search noop | stats count | eval src="$cidr",dest="$cidr"
 | eval src=split(src, " "), dest=split(dest, " ")
 | table src, dest ]

yields no results at all 😞

0 Karma

HiroshiSatoh
Champion

Please perform sub search separately.

index=XXX [| noop|stats count | eval src="$cidr$"|eval src=split(src," ") |mvexpand src|fields src] [| noop|stats count | eval dest="$cidr$"|eval dest=split(dest," ") |mvexpand dest|fields dest] |・・・・

( (src=XXX) OR (src=XXX) OR (src=XXX) OR (src=XXX) ) AND ( (dest=XXX) OR (dest=XXX) OR (dest=XXX) OR (dest=XXX) )
※Please be careful because it is AND condition.

0 Karma

sptz16

Holy cow, works like a charm! Thanks a lot, HiroshiSatoh!

0 Karma

somesoni2
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I think you need an mvexpand command as well (after split).

0 Karma

HiroshiSatoh
Champion

I also thought so.
But just by splitting it worked fine.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...