Dashboards & Visualizations

How to fix the "populating" message bug on a multiselect populated by search?

nick405060
Motivator

I have a multiselect populated by query that continues to populate after the populating message disappears, so that you cannot even scroll down in the multiselect because it keeps constantly populating.

<input type="multiselect" token="logs_onChange" id="multiselect_logs">
        <label>Log(s):</label>
        <choice value="All *">All</choice>
        <search>
          <query>
index=wineventlog earliest=-24h latest=now | dedup EventCode | rex field=source "WinEventLog:(?<logname>.+)" | eval log=logname." ".EventCode | sort 0 log | table log
          </query>
        </search>
        <fieldForLabel>log</fieldForLabel>
        <fieldForValue>log</fieldForValue>
        <delimiter>,</delimiter>
        <default>All *</default>
      </input>

It seems that the populating message is on a timer only, and is lying about the actual populating status. How do I fix this?

Tags (3)
0 Karma

niketn
Legend

@nick405060 how many values will you have returned in your Multiselect query? Also how long does it take to execute and return? Would the issue be resolved if you show multi-select is displayed after the query completes populating?

Also for the query performance could you run a scheduled search every hour for past 24 hour (or similar schedule as per your data frequency and use case) and populate results of the scheduled search?

PS: If you have more than 10K results or so, still you would face issues with multiselect scroll not responding very well and it is not the right use case for multiselect as well (ideally Users will never select more than 10-20).

nick405060
Motivator

Less than a thousand, usually less than a hundred. It takes a few seconds before the populating message goes away, and 15-120 seconds for the query to populate depending on what my earliest is. Even with earliest=-15m it takes significantly longer for the query to complete than for the populating message to go away. Yeah, the issue would be workaround-ed if the multiselect did not appear until after the query has completed population (as long as there was some elegant notice being like: "hold on, multiselect currently being populated and will appear when completed").

Scheduled search would fix the problem. That's a workaround for sure. I'll probably implement this workaround unless I get an actual fix of the problem.

0 Karma

jkat54
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
 Shouldn't the default value of the token be "*"instead of "all *"?

I think that's your problem.

0 Karma

nick405060
Motivator

No, I purposefully have it be that string all * so that I can later use the same space-based rex on all the multiselect values (which are usually Security 4634 e.g.)

This should not be the issue here. There is no reason this would affect the timer for the populating message especially when it is successfully completing query.

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

The only way to solve this is to have an additional Pre-filter text input that sets something like $server_name_filter$ that you use this to filter the data going to the existing control by adding this to the end of its populating search:

... | regex value="$server_name_filter$"

This will drastically reduce the number of values going into the existing control. The problem isn't so much that it doesn't finish quickly; it is that the list is so long at the end that the control is pretty much unusable. This solves both problems.

Here is some sample XML:

<form>
  <label>Prefilter Demo Dashboard</label>
  <fieldset autorun="false" submitButton="true">
    </input>
    <input type="text" token="server_name_filter" searchWhenChanged="false">
      <label>RegEx filter for Server Dropdown --&gt;</label>
      <default>.</default>
    </input>
    <input type="dropdown" token="server_name" searchWhenChanged="false">
      <label>(&lt;-- filtered) Server Selector:</label>
      <default>*</default>
      <choice value="*">All</choice>
      <fieldForLabel>server_name</fieldForLabel>
      <fieldForValue>server_name</fieldForValue>
      <search>
        <query>| inputcsv servernamelist.csv | regex server_name="(?i)$server_name_filter$" | table server_name</query>
        <earliest>-1s</earliest>
        <latest>now</latest>
      </search>
    </input>
0 Karma

nick405060
Motivator

Could you explain this a bit further? I added | regex log="$populate_correctly$" to the end of the query detailed in the question, where $populate_correctly$ comes from

<input type="text" token="populate_correctly">
    <label>test:</label>
    <default>[\s\S]*</default>
  </input>

No luck, same issue. I also tried generating $populate_correctly$ just using an ad-hoc search, makeresults, and <done>. What am I doing wrong?

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

See my updated answer with actual XML.

0 Karma

nick405060
Motivator

Unfortunately this doesn't work for me. It may be because I'm using a JS submit button and no fieldset 😕

0 Karma

mhoogcarspel_sp
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Can't repro this with my data and 8.0.1 standalone, but can I suggest stats instead of dedup, with something like this:

index=_internal earliest=-24h latest=now 
| stats count BY component source 
| eval log=component." ".source 
| sort 0 log
| table log
0 Karma

nick405060
Motivator

Same problem with this solution

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...