Dashboards & Visualizations

How to extract unique values from XML data?

jcman01
Engager

I have a splunk log entry that contains XML. I need to extract all the unique values for Customer City, and show them, such as what I would do in Unix with sort|uniq.

Is this possible in splunk?

<request>
  <CustomerName>Smith</CustomerName>
  <CustomerAddress>111 Elm Street</CustomerAddress>
  <CustomerCity>Allentown</CustomerCity>
</request>
Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Try this:

| stats count | eval xml = "<request><CustomerName>Smith</CustomerName><CustomerAddress>111 Elm Street</CustomerAddress><CustomerCity>Allentown</CustomerCity></request>,<request><CustomerName>Smith</CustomerName><CustomerAddress>111 Elm Street</CustomerAddress><CustomerCity>Allentown</CustomerCity></request>,<request><CustomerName>Smith</CustomerName><CustomerAddress>111 Elm Street</CustomerAddress><CustomerCity>Not Allentown</CustomerCity></request>" | makemv xml delim="," | mvexpand xml | rename xml as _raw
| spath | dedup request.CustomerCity | table request.CustomerCity

The first block just sets up dummy data, the meat is the last three commands. spath grabs the fields from your XML, dedup does the sort|uniq part, table picks out just that column to show.

View solution in original post

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Try this:

| stats count | eval xml = "<request><CustomerName>Smith</CustomerName><CustomerAddress>111 Elm Street</CustomerAddress><CustomerCity>Allentown</CustomerCity></request>,<request><CustomerName>Smith</CustomerName><CustomerAddress>111 Elm Street</CustomerAddress><CustomerCity>Allentown</CustomerCity></request>,<request><CustomerName>Smith</CustomerName><CustomerAddress>111 Elm Street</CustomerAddress><CustomerCity>Not Allentown</CustomerCity></request>" | makemv xml delim="," | mvexpand xml | rename xml as _raw
| spath | dedup request.CustomerCity | table request.CustomerCity

The first block just sets up dummy data, the meat is the last three commands. spath grabs the fields from your XML, dedup does the sort|uniq part, table picks out just that column to show.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...