Dashboards & Visualizations

How to effectively implement a Bubble Chart?

Phil219
Path Finder

Hello,

I am trying to merge two charts together. Both charts have two dimensions each with one common dimension - making three total.

Following the advice given in link text, I use the following search to return a string, number, number:

MY SEARCH | stats sum(count) by location date_month

Which returns results in the "statistics" tab that look something like this:

Location, date_month, count
Copper River, 5, 300
Copper River, 6, 300
Copper River, 7, 325
Bear River, 5, 120
Bear River, 6, 200
Bear River, 7, 177

etc

Unfortunately, when I click the "visualization" tab and select "bubble" the table is blank. What did I do wrong?

I have also tried to understand and follow the advice given link text but it appears that in the example link text, the search results need to yield four fields to use the bubble visualization properly.

It seems there is an easy way to implement the "bubble" feature of splunk search visualization and I am just missing it. Any suggestions?

Thank you in advance!

0 Karma
1 Solution

somesoni2
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Check the bubble chart example from the Splunk 6.x Dashboard example app (https://splunkbase.splunk.com/app/1603/).

It needs 4 columns with 3 columns (from 2nd to 4th) to be of numeric type. The bubble chart displays the data in 3 dimensions for the series (first column).

View solution in original post

somesoni2
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Check the bubble chart example from the Splunk 6.x Dashboard example app (https://splunkbase.splunk.com/app/1603/).

It needs 4 columns with 3 columns (from 2nd to 4th) to be of numeric type. The bubble chart displays the data in 3 dimensions for the series (first column).

Phil219
Path Finder

You are right somesoni2! Thank you!

MY SEARCH | table location, _time, count,Species_ID

Yielded:

Location, _time, count, Species_ID
Afognak River, 2015-05-11, 2, 420
Copper River, 2015-05-12, 6, 420
Afognak River, 2015-05-12, 11, 420
Copper River, 2015-05-13, 145, 420
Afognak River, 2015-05-13, 7, 420

etc.

Which, when I clicked the "visualization" tab, turned into a really cool bubble chart. Thanks!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

Splunk is officially part of Cisco

Revolutionizing how our customers build resilience across their entire digital footprint.   Splunk ...

Splunk APM & RUM | Planned Maintenance March 26 - March 28, 2024

There will be planned maintenance for Splunk APM and RUM between March 26, 2024 and March 28, 2024 as ...