Dashboards & Visualizations

How to display the proper counts of the messages

aditsss
Motivator

Hi Everyone,

I have one requirement

I have created one alert like below:

index=abc ns IN ("blazepsfpublish", "blazegateway", "blazegateway-c2","blazepsfsubscribememsql","blazepsfsubscribememsql-c2","sidh-bulk-processor","sidh-datagraph3","sidh-datagraph3-c2","sidh-noss") "NullPointerException" | rex "message=(?<ExceptionMessage>[^\n]+)"|dedup ExceptionMessage,ns|eval _time = strftime(_time,"%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S.%3N")|table app_name, ExceptionMessage ,_time, environment, pod_name,ns|rename app_name as APP_NAME, _time as Time, environment as Environment, pod_name as Pod_Name

The issue I am facing is there are some messages that are similar like below:

2021-03-17T10:39:32.268286963Z app_name=publishpushapi environment=e1 ns=blazepsfpublish pod_container=publishpushapi pod_name=publishpushapi-deployment-66-gz8dm stream=stdout message=java.lang.NullPointerException: null

2021-03-17T10:39:16.982803933Z app_name=publishpushapi environment=e1 ns=blazepsfpublish pod_container=publishpushapi pod_name=publishpushapi-deployment-66-gz8dm stream=stdout message=java.lang.NullPointerException: null

I have already used dedup .

But I want that count should come proper like if similar messages are 7 then the message display will be 1 and count will be 7.

with stats count I am getting only 1 count.

Can someone guide me on this

Labels (3)
0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

At what point in your query are you doing the stats command?

0 Karma

aditsss
Motivator

@ITWhisperer 

I have used like this:

index=abc ns IN ("blazepsfpublish", "blazegateway", "blazegateway-c2","blazepsfsubscribememsql","blazepsfsubscribememsql-c2","sidh-bulk-processor","sidh-datagraph3","sidh-datagraph3-c2","sidh-noss") "NullPointerException" | rex "message=(?<ExceptionMessage>[^\n]+)"|dedup ExceptionMessage,ns|eval _time = strftime(_time,"%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S.%3N")|stats count by app_name, ExceptionMessage ,_time, environment, pod_name,ns|rename app_name as APP_NAME, _time as Time, environment as Environment, pod_name as Pod_Name

But I am getting count as 1 even if some of the messages are similar.

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The dedup before the stats has removed al but the first event matching the combination of ExceptionMessage and ns, which is why your counts will always be 1.

0 Karma

aditsss
Motivator

@ITWhisperer 

what I should I do to get the correct count.

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Try removing the dedup

0 Karma

aditsss
Motivator

@ITWhisperer 

I tried like this after removing dedup.

But I am getting No result

index=abc  ns IN ("blazepsfpublish", "blazegateway", "blazegateway-c2","blazepsfsubscribememsql","blazepsfsubscribememsql-c2","sidh-bulk-processor","sidh-datagraph3","sidh-datagraph3-c2","sidh-noss") "NullPointerException" | rex "message=(?<ExceptionMessage>[^\n]+)"|eval _time = strftime(_time,"%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S.%3N")|stats count by app_name, ExceptionMessage ,_time, environment, pod_name,ns|rename app_name as APP_NAME, _time as Time, environment as Environment, pod_name as Pod_Name

Can you guide me where I am wrong

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I am not sure why you would get "No result" - do you get an error? Also, what are you trying to do with the stats command? You have included _time in the grouping and with so many other fields to group on, I wouldn't be surprised if all of your counts turn out to be 1 anyway.

0 Karma

aditsss
Motivator

@ITWhisperer 

Then what should I removed from the stats command.

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Probably not given that you want counts of something. The question is what are you trying to count?

0 Karma

aditsss
Motivator

@ITWhisperer 

I am trying to count exception messages

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Given that your search already filters on NullPointerException

| stats count

will give you the count of events matching the search in your time period. Is this what you want?

0 Karma

aditsss
Motivator

@ITWhisperer 

yes I want the club count of the messages that are similar.

But stats count is giving one count only

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Still not clear how you want to divide up the counts e.g. counts of exceptions by day? count by app_name? count by app_name and day? By including _time in your stats command, this divides the counts up by the timestamp, so unless you have lots of exceptions in the same millisecond, you are unlikely to get counts above 1

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...