Dashboards & Visualizations

How to display status in Dashboard based on values from multiple result rows?

worldexplorer81
Path Finder

Hi, 

I need to display an overall status in a dashboard (Single Value) based on results returned from my splunk queries. 

Example:

• If all status OK - Overall status=OK
  • If  one or more status is Failed and all other are OK (i.e no Job in Pending) - Overall Status=Failure
  • If one or more status is in Failed and one or more is in Pending, Overall Status=Partial OK
  • If all are Pending - Overall status=Pending
Job Status
A OK
B OK
C Failed
D Pending

Any suggestions if the above is possible? 

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @worldexplorer81,

in this case, you have to group events and check the condition, something like this:

your_search
| stats dc(status) AS dc_status values(status) AS status
| eval overallStatus=case(dc_status=1 AND status="OK","OK",dc_status=1 AND status="Pending","Pending",dc_status=1 AND status="Pending","Failure",dc_status>1 AND like(status,"%Failed%"),"Failure", dc_status>1 AND like(status,"%Failed%")AND like(status,"%Pending%"),"Partial OK")
| fields overallStatus

Ciao.

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

worldexplorer81
Path Finder

Hi @gcusello , 

The dashboard should only have 1 single value for Overall Status (either OK, Failure, Partial OK or Pending) depending on the different values of the field status returned from my search

• If all status OK, then Overall status=OK
  • If  one or more status is Failed and all other are OK (i.e no Job in Pending) , then Overall Status=Failure
  • If one or more status is in Failed and one or more is in Pending, then Overall Status=Partial OK
  • If all are Pending, thenOverall status=Pending
0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @worldexplorer81,

in this case, you have to group events and check the condition, something like this:

your_search
| stats dc(status) AS dc_status values(status) AS status
| eval overallStatus=case(dc_status=1 AND status="OK","OK",dc_status=1 AND status="Pending","Pending",dc_status=1 AND status="Pending","Failure",dc_status>1 AND like(status,"%Failed%"),"Failure", dc_status>1 AND like(status,"%Failed%")AND like(status,"%Pending%"),"Partial OK")
| fields overallStatus

Ciao.

Giuseppe

worldexplorer81
Path Finder

Thanks @gcusello - Will give it a try! 

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @worldexplorer81,

good for you, see next time!

Ciao and happy splunking

Giuseppe

P.S.: Karma Points are appreciated 😉

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @worldexplorer81,

let me understand: do youwant to create a dashboard with four Single values, each one displaying one value of your table, is it correct?

if thisis your need, youhave to create a Post Process Search in your dashboard and then in each Single Value Panel, put one value.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...