Dashboards & Visualizations

How to create a tag for alerts when they are written to the _internal index to display a count of alerts on a dashboard?

jonnim
Explorer

I have created alerts based on use case for e.g. failed authentications. These alerts pertain to different data sources, - Failed auth on Windows Failed auth on Linux etc. The alerts results go into the _internal index. I want to display the count of these alerts on a dashboard. Currently I am doing this by using the savedsearch_name field and correlating against the :Failed-auth" in the name as follows:

search index=_internal sourcetype=scheduler savedsearch_name="*Failed_Auth*"

However, this makes me dependent on correct naming conventions. I would rather create a tag (say alert-typ=failed-auth) when the alert gets written to the _internal index. I know you can do this using summary indexing, but customer doesn't want to use summary indexing ..Any suggestions?

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Try this search. THis will give all the scheduled search execution which has an alert action configured.

index=_internal sourcetype=scheduler status=success alert_action=* alert_action!=""

jonnim
Explorer

somesoni2 - you solution may work if we define alert_action. This is not defined and such cannot be used as a filter. Is there anyway to add a tag to the saved search result?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...